Downgrading to Leopard (Not Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lzooml, Jan 26, 2012.

1. lzooml macrumors newbie

This Lion thing is extremely unstable and I got lots and lots errors I have never experienced with any OSX version. So, definitely want to get rid of this OSX and switch back to Leopard, but not snow leopard.
    All the threads I found on google are regarding downgrading to snow leopard.

Ain't it possible to downgrade to leopard without any data loss, as if I'm upgrading to lion from leopard (I did this and found everything as I left)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Back up your computer, repartition, reformat, and reinstall Leopard from scratch.

3. lzooml thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's an obvious solution. However I'm not able to back-up my documents, since I have no external HDD with free space. So, looking for a way to do it as downgrading.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I would absolutely never suggest upgrading or downgrading an OS without having backup copies of all your files on an external drive.

So even if there was a way, you still shouldn't do it until you buy a new hard drive.

And if you're already having to buy a hard drive anyway, well then go ahead an follow maflynn's advice.

5. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

There is no way to downgrade to Leopard except by reformatting and starting fresh. Why don't you want to try Snow Leopard, it's extremely stable and its a great OS.

6. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

I don't think there is a way to downgrade to snow leopard in place either... its the same thing.

7. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

External HDs are very cheap, can't you pick one up to back your data up? Having a backup is good practise whether or not you're changing OS anyway.

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

During the upgrade, Lion converted all of your email in order to be compatible. I don't think you can "downgrade" your email if you go back to SL much less Leopard.

9. tyrell456 macrumors member

1) Not only should you get an external drive for backup anyway (they're incredibly cheap nowadays), there also is no way to downgrade an OS without completely formatting the drive and installing a fresh OS. So if you want to go down from Lion, you're going to have to get an external drive to back up to anyway.

2) Why Leopard? I can understand if you don't like Lion (though I personally love it, I fully understand why others don't), but why are you insisting Leopard over Snow Leopard? Snow Leopard essentially is Leopard but better optimized and faster. There really are no advantages that Leopard holds over Snow Leopard.

10. lzooml thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's plain to see, no need to think complicated.
    I don't have Snow Leopard but Leopard. They don't hand out Snow Leopard for free, right :)