downgrading to leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Umscheidt, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Umscheidt macrumors newbie

I upgraded to snow leopard a few months ago. Its fine but its messing with my battery life. ever since i installed it told me to check battery. now my battery last only a few minutes. ive reset pram and smc but nothing helps. This battery is 8months old. I feel its the software. there is much written about this on forums with people having similar problems. Im thinking of going back to leopard. If i do, what kind of things will i lose? like data and apps?

thanks

2. Lukasmacy macrumors member

If you perform an upgrade your files and applications should remain intact, although I would recommend backing up first. If you choose to clean install you will lose all you files applications etc. Just pop in the Leopard DVD restart and press C on boot up to install.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think you can "upgrade" to a lower version: only wipe the drive and re-install (so backup all apps and data)

4. Arrandale macrumors regular

snow leopard has better power saving features than leopard

it's possible that the issue is your battery, i recommend having it replaced

5. Lukasmacy macrumors member

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is correct, to downgrade you have to erase and then install.

@ the OP: It's unfortunate that your battery died, but it's coincidence and nothing more. SL has better battery diagnostics than Leopard and will tell you when something is wrong with it. The fact that your battery died soon thereafter is happenstance.

Downgrading to Leopard won't solve anything. Getting a new battery will.

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

What does Apple Menu>About This Mac>More Info>Power tell you about your battery?

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Wow, some significant misinformation here. Downgrading from a newer OS to an older OS doesn't require erasing the drive, not by a long shot. Leopard and earlier had an install option called "Archive and Install", which will move the OS and other system files to a Previous Systems folder, install a fresh copy of the OS, and keep your User accounts and files, along with Network settings intact. Still best to back up, but no need to erase anything.

Now, the advice about the battery is probably spot on.

jW

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

True! I keep forgetting that OS X has that Archive and Install option... since the system is so stable I rarely reinstall (and when I do, it's an erase and install). Thanks for the correction.

10. Umscheidt thread starter macrumors newbie

when i look at my data for my battery it says:
    Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0001
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0110
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 1855
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 1855
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 172
    Condition: Check Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 7
    Voltage (mV): 12619

while my laptop is nearing 3 years old this battery is from august. it shouldnt be this bad. it takes forever to charge up then dies randomly in the 20-60ish range.