Downgrading to regular Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by precator, Jun 15, 2009.

1. precator macrumors member

Basically I installed Snow Leopard but am not happy with it, buggy etc. I want to downgrade to regular Leopard. Is there any way I can do a Time Machine backup now just to save my "user files" and not my system files. Basically I would like to do a system restore but take my current state of user files in Snow Leopard. Is this possible?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Of course it's buggy, it's not officially released. Sorry, dude, you should have known better.

Anyways, to answer the question (and get you out of your illegal software quickly), go to System Preferences -> Time Machine, and click the Options button. Drag your System folder to the "Do not backup" section, and it should ask you if you want to exclude all system files, and you can say yes to that. Do the reinstallation of Leopard, then restore from the Time Machine backup from the Setup Assistant that will run automatically.

jW

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

A Developers beta? buggy?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Leopard is Leopard and Snow Leopard is Snow Leopard. I don't think Leopard is just "regular" Leopard or a substandard version of SL. ;)

That said, I'm shocked that a dev release is buggy. That astounds me.

5. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Is it just me or is there an astoundingly large amount of people who think that the torrented SL that cannot be found for retail ANYWHERE is the final real release?

6. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

When I get back home in a week i'm going to follow these steps cause while I enjoy beta software, too many things non OS things don't act as desired. 3rd party developers need to get on the ball.

And too circumvent Mal's bootleg rant (I love your name ;)):

[​IMG]

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

LOL, so I've been busted on that one. Still, you're complaining about other devs, and yet didn't know something pretty basic about the OS you use, you got to admit it wasn't a great leap in logic. Sorry about the mistaken accusation.

jW

8. cg0def macrumors regular

You guys need to chill. Not every developer has 2 machines so he/she can test 10.6 on one while using the other for every day things. Plus until you start using an OS full time you are really not testing it. ( my personal opinion ) Provided that you don't have a time machine backup, I believe you can restore your system with the Leopard install disk(s). Your data should stay intact but there is always a risk so you know the routine.

9. The Razor macrumors newbie

I just PURCHASED a legal copy of Snow Leopard, not a beta, not a pirated copy. It sucks. Do not upgrade. Buggy doesn't begin to describe it.
    That said, what if I never activated Time Machine? Is there some way to downgrade to Leopard?

10. y3k macrumors newbie

Yellow Snow Leopard

This bloody upgrade reminds me the best times of the next Windows version: half of the stuff doesn't work, some strange error messages, inconsistent system behavior, regular things that used to work smooth just stopped working at all - printers, CDMA modems etc. Why the heck publishing such crapy product? VISTA Leopard?

11. SebZen macrumors 6502

Man, I always keep reading about people complaining of SL being buggy, and their only description is that "it's buggy, 'etc'"....

I've never had a single problem and I use my MBP the whole day, I have no idea what you people are doing to make it "buggy".

The least you can do is tell us what bugs you encounter. It's like going to a mechanic and saying "my car doesn't work". We have no clue what you're talking about, need more info.

12. Marzzz macrumors regular

My problem with SL is that it completely FUBAR'd MS Word (2001- yeah, I know) so that basic fonts look terrible onscreen, and now my printer (an HP listed as "compatible") only prints one blank page instead of a complete document.

You can downgrade to Leopard using Time Machine, but make sure you back up your most essential files to a third place. When I downgraded I did a "delete and install" for Leopard, and then had a GREAT deal of difficulty restoring files during launch of Leopard. I got an "examining time capsule drive" message with spinning beachball that never resolved. I eventually skipped this step and installed Leopard as brand new, then fortunately was able to get back into Time Capsule and restore the hard way. It was harrowing, because you really want to rely on Time Machine....

13. gavalian macrumors newbie

I am using flow ftp client on SL, i do not know what happened it is stoped to save passwords, and also can't configure Logitech mouse on SL.

14. Valalvax macrumors newbie

I wouldn't say it's buggy, but it's definitely SLOWER on my Mac Mini (upgraded to 4 gigs of RAM) I play WoW quite a bit on it, and the framerate went from 80-120ish to a stuttering 20 with freezing every now and then. When I go to play video with WoW open, the system hardlocks and must be turned off via the power button, with WoW and Safari open at the same time, if I have a Top Sites window open it drains the life out of my Mac...

And sure, all of these things center around WoW, but that's what I do, so yea, I want to downgrade until I don't hear anymore reports about people complaining

15. magnusalpha macrumors newbie

magnusalpha

SL buggy?

I would really *love* to know what kind of bugs these people are talking about. I've had zero bugs, everything runs faster, the boot and shutdown are faster, etc.

16. djtedrivera macrumors newbie

OS X Buggie with Production Programs

Well guys all I can say is from a DJ's point of view I will be going back to leopard... Programs that I have tried to use and crashed are
    Ableton Live
    Traktor 3.3.085 along with Traktor Scratch Pro
    Scratch Live by Rane

Seems Apple was not thinking of the production of music unless your using
    Logic Pro.

what happens is the programs listed open fine start operating then all of a sudden poof they are gone and I get a message asking if I would like to report it to apple and relaunch.

It has made my MBP unusable in the DJ booth and Club Environment.

Some people actually take there tools very seriously especially when your in a club playing for over 2k people and it crashes.. Good thing I still carry around my old format CD's..

Big frown on Apple for this blunder...

funny thing is I have tried running it in 32 bit but same problems are still present.

you know boot and press 3 2 at the same time... THAT DIDNT WORK!!!

So back to leopard I go.

17. badr91 macrumors newbie

I upgraded to Snow leopard a week and a half ago and till now these programs crash:

Firefox
    Safari
    aMSN
    VLC

18. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Firefox and Safari work fine here. VLC is a known issue, it's documented on their website with no known date for a fix last I checked. :(

19. zen macrumors 65816

zen

I think this weekend I'll reinstall Leopard. I'm sick of system hangs, beachballing, poor Flash video playback, general unresponsiveness, file type issues and associated apps (.rar vs .cbr, .zip vs .cbz), app crashing (Safari, TweetDeck, iTunes 9), bizzare shuffling between QTX and Quicktime 7.

I've posted about each of these problems on the forum ever since I installed Snow Leopard, and it seems clear that this OS is a real mixed bag. Some people have no problems at all and everything has the performance boost promised. Some people have no problems but no appreciable change. Some people have bugs and problems (like me) that make SL hard to use. Some people have completely dead machines (kernel panics, machines that won't shut down or start up).

I can't work out what the common thread is - my machine isn't that old (late 2007 alu iMac) and isn't specced that badly (4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 2.4 GHz proc), yet I've got major issues with the OS. I've done a clean install before anyone asks!

20. eddieddu macrumors newbie

Finaly I also downgrade

After 2 weeks running SL forced to upgrade a lot of applications because the didn't work any more I stopped this last night.

After rebooting due to switching to the fast video card on my MBP, iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture and even the system preferences start crashing when starting.

I have no more time and interest to find out why this happens. Starting to restore my latest SL TM Backup.

21. zen macrumors 65816

zen

22. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I was forced to revert back to 10.5.8 last week, also. SL is a big bag 'o' bugs, and it was REALLY annoying me. I want to work, not keep sending bug reports to Mapple. Before the blinded fanboys jump on top of this, NOTHING IS PERFECT, and if you have a perfectly working install of Snow Leopard, then good for you, but my experience is NOT perfect.

<[_PS_]> For the record - I haven't missed ANYTHING about Snow Leopard... in fact, up until replying to this post, I hadn't even thought about my downgrade, since having done it

23. pdjudd macrumors 601

I should point out that Apple does not recommend using pre-release software on a production machine without some way of going back to something that works (IE dual booting). Pre-release software by its very nature is going to be buggy. Most legitmate developers know this.

24. jonnyl941 macrumors newbie

I'm not accusing or anything, but be warned... torrented copies of Ableton Live after like 6 months just start crashing every couple of minutes. It's a bug in the crack...

I'm not sure if it'll be the same for Traktor, but to be safe, make sure all the copies are legit, it's worth it ;)