Downgrading to Tiger on a Penryn MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by linuxophile, Mar 17, 2008.

1. linuxophile macrumors regular

Hello,

I just bought a new MBP (multitouch) which came with 10.5.2.
    It appears that 10.5.x has severe problems with external projectors (see several posts by several people here and elsewhere) and I need the machine for conference presentation. I already had the nice experience of hooking the machine in front of the audience without success (this is my 3rd Apple (Lemon?)) .

I want to see if with Tiger on it I have better luck so I made a second partition with the intention of installing the old cat. Unfortunately the install disk for my iMac (10.4.8) won't even boot (the laptop reboots while booting from the DVD, the media is checked and fine) and if I boot from a complete installation of 10.4.11 for my imac C2D, I get a kernel panic, at which point I suspect that simply Tiger is incompatible with the new penryns/GPUs

Any suggestions to get around?
    Anyone has similar experience (with either projector problems or downgrading problems).

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think it will be possible. Though I'm not 100% sure, as Apple doesn't include drivers for their old machines.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeah it is definitely impossible as Apple only ever produced a PPC version of Tiger and an Intel version of Tiger came on the install DVDs when you bought a new Mac before Leopard was released.

if you try to use a Tiger install DVD that came with another Mac on your new MacBook Pro it wont work as the installer is machine and processor specific.

thats why Leopard is so ground breaking as its Universal Binary (PPC & Intel). if someone wants to downgrade from 10.6 (Lion? :D) from a brand new Mac to Leopard they can just use the retail Leopard install DVD.

so you pretty much have to use Leopard. maybe you could elaborate on your problem with projectors? what make it is? what exactly is the problem?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not true, as Leopard won't include the drivers for Macs that start with 10.6.

5. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

The earliest OS that will work on a Mac is the OS which was current when the Mac was released.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

oh k... yeh makes sense.

7. gkroeger macrumors member

I use a projector daily from my two MBPs (one Core Duo, on Penryn) both running Leopard. Not sure what your problem is... can you describe it?

8. linuxophile thread starter macrumors regular

Some more detail....

Description:
    at a conference, on TWO separate projectors which worked for other speakers (one using a powerbook g4) the laptop DID detect the projector, but the projector showed `no input signal` . I tried mirror and no mirror, several resolutions to no avail. I tried today on a local projector (epson) and it worked fine so it must be some sort of subtle incompatibility. Morale: if you have an Apple at a conference bring always a USB memory stick for emergency.....

The system.log has some complaints about a O3panel class being multiply defined. This log (I have another post where it was attached) was in correspondence with the numerous attempts.

In reply to richthomas: of course I am smart enough not to try to install a PPC tiger onto an Intel.
    The tiger version I used is the one that came on an intel Imac (C2D) about 1yr old. It is entirely possible, however, that simply new machines are incompatible with a 1yr old OS from the same company, but, for crying out loud, it is only 1 yr!

I guess Apple responds to different market logic where backward hardware compatibility with their own 1ry old OS is unacceptable.....

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

10. linuxophile thread starter macrumors regular

And buy Windows?

Well, I'd try but I do not have any installable windows (only service pack 1 and you need a SP2).

Or you meant to install tiger using bootcamp?
    Is that possible?:eek:

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I don't think it's possible to install Tiger. however it IS possible to use a linux CD to repartition a drive to dual boot OS X and linux. I guess as a VERY last resort, you could partition the drive and throw ubuntu or something on there. But obviously, installing a whole other OS and dual botting is a messy solution, when Apple should make an effort to find and quickly fix the issue....

This is the first I've heard of issues with 10.5.2 and projectors, and now I'm a little freaked out considering I have a presentation to give at a conference next month, and was planning on using my MBP (the conference is being streamed in addition to a packed house, so any screw up will be disastrous). Just curious: were you connecting via RGB, or DVi to these projectors? And do you know off hand the brand of the projectors that DIDN'T work?

Now I may just have to test some of the projectors we have here before I leave, find one that works, and then lug it with me, in case of failure. Ugh. :(

12. linuxophile thread starter macrumors regular

The issues have been described in forums here and elsewhere (google for external projector leopard)
    I have tried now at least 2 projector locally here and they work (Sanyo and Epson) but I do not know which brand those at the conference were.

The system.log reported some oddity (look for my post in another forum here) about a O3panel class being multiply defined, which does not happen when connecting a projector that works.

The connections were all VGA (with the Apple-supplied DVI-VGA adapter): the only difference that could be of relevance (apart from the brand of the projector) is that the connection was split between the podium-PC and the laptop input. This has been ascribed in some other post I found as an issue, since trying a direct connection with the projector resolved the problem for the poster. I can't confirm it though.

I am still looking into the problem but first I need to reproduce the problem.

My money (2cents) is on a software problem rather than hardware, but I can't exclude hardware. In a sense software is worse than hardware because I can't exchange it!

FYI

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B00
    SMC Version: 1.27f1