Downgrading

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Came across this on the Apple Developer Forums, I can't remember if it is true or not, but i thought i would share it.

Just be advised; historically, Beta 1 has usually been very simple to roll-back from. Usually begining with Beta 2, Apple begins making baseband level changes on the device, preventing downgrading.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Came across this on the Apple Developer Forums, I can't remember if it is true or not, but i thought i would share it.

Just be advised; historically, Beta 1 has usually been very simple to roll-back from. Usually begining with Beta 2, Apple begins making baseband level changes on the device, preventing downgrading.
A DFU restore will let you downgrade to the latest firmware Apple is signing.

Quercus Alba

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
That may be, but several people have had trouble restoring in DFU mode.
That may be, but 99% of the time people only have trouble with DFU restores because:

1) They're doing it wrong (and will respond 20 minutes later with "nvm guys I worked it out" :p)
2) Their home/lock buttons are broken

In my experience (hundreds of kids trying to fix glitchy jailbreaks) these are the only two reasons a DFU restore to currently-signed firmware won't work

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
That may be, but 99% of the time people only have trouble with DFU restores because:

1) They're doing it wrong (and will respond 20 minutes later with "nvm guys I worked it out" :p)

In my experience (hundreds of kids trying to fix glitchy jailbreaks) these are the only two reasons a DFU restore to currently-signed firmware won't work
Agree with this 110%

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

As a whole, you are probably right.