Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hello community:

I am wondering if someone here has a reliable copy of 10.13 (or later versions within High Sierra) who can let me download?

My Mac Mini 2010 has been dead for a year due to my negligence when erasing the hard drive (I am new to Mac). After more than six months of research, the only way I can revive it is to make a USB boot disk with a good copy of 10.13 dmg file. And I almost got it done except for the copy I am using is damaged, the process stalled with a box saying that "10.13 is damaged". I have gotten advices in the past but three things FOR SURE:

1. Internet Recovery/reload of OS will NOT work because it is no longer supported because 10.13 is more than x years old - Apple Store told me, and I have even tried. No luck. It will say to the effect "this version of mac is no longer supported."
2. Apple store doesn't have 10.13 for download anymore. So no support from Apple anymore.
3. Support.apple.com resources have been exhausted, no copies. They will have links that may look like it will lead me to a copy of High Sierra, but they all became eternal hourglasses/wait.

This leaves my only version is to make a USB boot disk to fix it locally. I have tried downloading 10.13 from different websites such as isoriver.com and themacgo.com, they seemed to have copies there, but after loading on the USB boot disk, the MacMini wouldn't recognize the USB.

I appreciate if anyone can share a reliable copy of 10.13 dmg. Thanks.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hello community:

I am wondering if someone here has a reliable copy of 10.13 who can let me download?

My Mac Mini 2010 has been dead for a year due to my negligence when erasing the hard drive (I am new to Mac). After more than six months of research, the only way I can revive it is to make a USB boot disk with a good copy of 10.13 dmg file. And I almost got it done except for the copy I am using is damaged, the process stalled with a box saying that "10.13 is damaged". I have gottenadvices in the past but two things for sure:

1. Internet refresh/reload of OS will not work because it is no longer supported because 10.13 is more than 7 years old - Apple Store told me, and I have even tried. No luck.
2. Apple store doesn't have 10.13 for download anymore. So no support from Apple anymore.

This leaves my only version is to make a USB boot disk to fix it locally. I have tried downloading 10.13 from different websites such as isoriver.com and themacgo.com, they seemed to have copies there, but after loading on the USB boot disk, the MacMini wouldn't recognize the USB.

Did you try the instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211683 ?
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
Reactions: ClaudAA

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello community:

I am wondering if someone here has a reliable copy of 10.13 who can let me download?

My Mac Mini 2010 has been dead for a year due to my negligence when erasing the hard drive (I am new to Mac). After more than six months of research, the only way I can revive it is to make a USB boot disk with a good copy of 10.13 dmg file. And I almost got it done except for the copy I am using is damaged, the process stalled with a box saying that "10.13 is damaged". I have gotten advices in the past but three things FOR SURE:

1. Internet refresh/reload of OS will not work because it is no longer supported because 10.13 is more than 7 years old - Apple Store told me, and I have even tried. No luck.
3. Support.apple.com resources have been exhausted, no copies.

Apple does still provide links at the above linked page. Make sure that you're using Safari to access the Apple page, and then downloading High Sierra should then work. You'll also need to use a computer that's compatible with High Sierra to download it.
You can also try starting up the computer in internet recovery. Hold command-option-r as you start it up. This should take you to the 10.13 installer.

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
Internet Recovery will not work because it is more than 7 years old, I HAVE SPENT 6 MONTHS TRYING THAT. As for me, I am using a PC to download the dmg and use TRANSMAC to create the boot disk.

I understand that the links are still there, it appears that way, BUT IT LEADS TO NOWHERE. If you find out that your link actually let you download, please let me know. Because on my side, IT IS DEAD END.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Internet Recovery will not work because it is more than 7 years old
This isn't true. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro on which internet recovery works fine. Your downloads are failing because you need to use a Mac to get the installer. Apple does not provide links to download the OS which will work from Windows.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
On that page, High Sierra and newer link to the App Store.

Download the Sierra installer DMG and go from there, upgrading to High Sierra from Sierra if you wish.

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
Internet Recovery will not work because it is more than 7 years old, I HAVE SPENT 6 MONTHS TRYING THAT. As for me, I am using a PC to download the dmg and use TRANSMAC to create the boot disk.

On that page, High Sierra and newer link to the App Store.

Download the Sierra installer DMG and go from there, upgrading to High Sierra from Sierra if you wish.
I have edited my original posting to reflect the amount of work I have put in. I tried the Sierra installer link, but it led me no where.

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
This isn't true. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro on which internet recovery works fine. Your downloads are failing because you need to use a Mac to get the installer. Apple does not provide links to download the OS which will work from Windows.
I used TRANSMAC to format the USB, it almost worked except the copy of 10.13 I had was damaged. This is the process I am using. I have limited resources. But this almost got me there. All I need is a healthy copy of 10.13 dmg

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
I have used the Mac Mini itself and tried the Internet Recovery, half way through it will say to the effect "no longer supported".

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I used TRANSMAC to format the USB, it almost worked except the copy of 10.13 I had was damaged. This is the process I am using. I have limited resources. But this almost got me there. All I need is a healthy copy of 10.13 dmg
I have read of people not having much success using Transmac to create bootable USB installers for recent macOS.

There were vendors that sell bootable High Sierra USB installers on eBay. It might be a way to get what you want quicker and easier considering the problems you have encountered with your available resources.

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
Below is the window that popped up during INTERNET RECOVERY. Believe me, I have tried many many times.

Attachments

• E5CEDC3B-5713-4DA9-8AE0-F0465F0B828A.jpeg
    E5CEDC3B-5713-4DA9-8AE0-F0465F0B828A.jpeg
    487.9 KB · Views: 284

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Reactions: walnawk

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
I have read of people not having much success using Transmac to create bootable USB installers for recent macOS.

There were vendors that sell bootable High Sierra USB installers on eBay. It might be a way to get what you want quicker and easier considering the problems you have encountered with your available resources.
Thanks CoastalOR, it may very well be my TRANSMAC that may not be working. Thanks for Chiming in. I have at least 4 versions of High Sierra dmg downloaded, and only one came close to success. Ebay, or maybe I must just use another application other than TRANSMAC.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Below is the window that popped up during INTERNET RECOVERY. Believe me, I have tried many many times.
Apparently that can happen if the system date is set correctly (something about a certificate that's expired, I believe). Try setting the date back to around 2018 and see whether the issue still occurs.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hello, everyone; I forgot to post about my outcome. MacCheetah3 sent me a private message and cured the whole thing. Kudos to him. He supplied me with what I asked for (iso for high sierra), AND suggested me to use RUFUS instead of my TransMac. He was right; RUFUS and the High Sierra iso did the job. With my old MacMini unsupported ( internet recovery option denied because it is unsupported - too old), I was able to create a boot disk from PC and plug it into my Mac Mini to get it working again. Thanks for MacCheetah3 for hearing and understanding my request so well.

Reactions: MJD305 and mdgm

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Glad to hear you are back up and running. Now keep that drive in a safe place in case you need to use it again.

The 2010 is pretty old and the next year 2011 had a big jump in performance with the quad-core models and then the 2012 models introduced USB3.0.

I have two 2009 Minis and a mid-2011, but at this point I would probably only consider 2012 and newer Mac Minis. The 2012 is still being sold for more than I'd like to pay, though hopefully this changes as more newer Minis are released.

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
Glad to hear you are back up and running. Now keep that drive in a safe place in case you need to use it again.

The 2010 is pretty old and the next year 2011 had a big jump in performance with the quad-core models and then the 2012 models introduced USB3.0.

I have two 2009 Minis and a mid-2011, but at this point I would probably only consider 2012 and newer Mac Minis. The 2012 is still being sold for more than I'd like to pay, though hopefully this changes as more newer Minis are released.
Oh yeah, I will keep everything safe. But through this experience, I learned quite a few ways to work around it.

After reading what you wrote about 2011 mini, I went back to check on my Mac Mini, and it is actually a 2011. It has only 4gb and 500 HD. I hooked it up to my TV for streaming movies, it costs me less than any Fire/google stick, let alone a full browser.

Since I fixed my Mac mini, I have bought a used Macbook Pro early 2011, 15" 4gb ram (I paid $180). I am messing with it right now. I have installed dosdude's Catalina patcher but it became clunky and drained the battery on the Macbook, at this moment, I have it back on High Sierra. As you can see, I do this for fun; while I admire the industrial design of the Mac, it is to expensive to buy them fresh; old second hand is the way for me to live some dreams from the past :)

• Love
Reactions: jmd563

MJD305

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2021
Good evening,

Reading this thread has been very similar to my problems, but involve a mid 2011 iMac. My restore partition is not working and I've been unable to create an install USB with High Sierra that will be acknowledged. My system is constantly stuck in the power on, load screen, then shut down and start over. I can't break it out of this issue.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
I have noticed that USB 3.x sticks sometimes fails in my 2011 iMac with USB 2.0 ports. I solved it through an USB extender cable. Somehow it worked then. The extender cable sports 2.0 standard.

So I assume an older USB 2.0 stick or a 2.0 extender cable (that in turn a USB 3.x stick connect to) might be an idea to try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.