Download and Upload speed REALLY SLOW!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kurokokoro, Jan 7, 2010.

1. kurokokoro macrumors newbie

My dad came home with a new iMac a few weeks ago and its been running fine until a few days ago. It takes forever for anything to download. I tried downloading FireFox and it would take me hours to do so and I know it should only take a few seconds.

I did a test @ speedtest.net and well i don't think it's looking too good.

[​IMG]

I'm not tech or computer savvy so I don't really know what to do about this.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!

Thank you!

2. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Get in touch with your internet service provider. Do you have dial-up? Doesn't look like you have a broadband connection. Either that or your settings on your modem are set wrong.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Wireless or wired connection? What is the advertised speed of your connection?

4. kurokokoro thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, its' dial up, it was working fine until the beginning of this week.

I'm sort of unsure if I'm wired or wireless. I have airport on but it has a yellow light next to it so I'm not sure if it's working properly. And i have the ethernet wire plugged in and it's working.

The advertised speed is 7mbps

5. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

1. yellow light = something is up

2. 7mbps on dial up ?

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

7 Mbps sounds like DSL not dial up, comes through the phone line but it's much faster than dial-up and always on. With the Ethernet cable plugged in you should be going wired which eliminates similar issues I've seen with bad, or highly interfered with wireless channels at home.

You may want to double check your network settings since it is poosible to change the preference order so that wireless would be picked over the wired Ethernet port. You can just turn off the wireless connection on the iMac and be sure that it's only connected via the wired port. If the problem persists call your ISP.

7. kurokokoro thread starter macrumors newbie

Well like I said I'm not computer smart so I wasn't sure if it was Dial-up or DSL All I know is that it's plugged in through the phone line.

I've tried that, turning off the wireless and it still takes a long time for anything to download.

8. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

since the router has a yellow light, disconnect it and completely bypass it. Connect your computer directly to your modem, power off both, leave for 20 mins and turn on. see what happens

9. kurokokoro thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

He. Call your service provider. Somethings up with your connection.

11. kurokokoro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the help!! I called qwest and the problem is fixed ! Thanks again!!!!!:D