Download 'application' warning.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jesse Smith, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jesse Smith macrumors member

Is there any way to make da computer stop spiting out dis annoying warning...

when you open a file that you downloaded?

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I've been looking, and I haven't been able to find it. It's probably somewhere in the Kernel.

To be honest, it's not all that bad. Try Google if you want to see how people got around it.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This one line of defense in MacOS X's security measures against malware. You should heed these warnings rather than trying to hide them.

This is particularly important in the case of this warning. Files with the .html extension are pure text. They do not or they should not contain executable code. If your case is an exception, then it is just that--an exception. It would be a serious mistake to disable vital security for an exception. OTOH, if you are trying to use this technique to develop malware, then you will must take another tack.

4. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I always find it amusing and suspicious when a Mac user is seemingly annoyed by one of OS X's best features -- protection of the user's investment for the total cost of one mouse click or entry of a password.

5. Jesse Smith thread starter macrumors member

Newsflash: Just because some one doesn't want da stupid annoying message every time he downloads a file himself and opens it doesn't mean he's making malware. And last I checked, not all Mac users are children that need da annoying warning. :rolleyes:

Oh, I found how to stop da Mac from treating it's users like little children...

http://henrik.nyh.se/2007/10/lift-the-leopard-download-quarantine
    http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2009/03/13/disabling-downloaded-file-warnings-in-leopard/