iPad Download apps to original iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sflomenb, Dec 25, 2013.

1. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

My dad, who got the iPad mini with Retina display, gave his original iPad to my grandmother today. We are trying to download iBooks and other apps for her, yet we get messages saying that they require iOS 7. Obviously, the original iPad only supports iOS 5. Isn't there a way to download older versions of the app?

2. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

i dont think there is a way too do that many apps now need IOS 6 or higher too run on the ipad

i think the best thing too do is save up some $ and get a ipad 2 or if you really want a newer ipad i would save up for the ipad air wish is a really good ipad but the ipad 1 is this geting two old

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Are you trying to download the apps from the app store on the original iPad? If so, you should get the correct version of apps for that older iPad with the older IOS. If you are trying while you are connected to a computer with those newer apps downloaded to iTunes you would get those messages.

4. sflomenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Yes, that what I thought would happen. Trying to download iBooks, for example. I download it, but then get a message saying I need iOS 7.

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Checking your issue with a Google search, states that once you get the message stating you need IOS 7, it is then supposed to direct you to an older version. Sounds like others have the same problem you are having. It maybe a glitch that you need to contact Apple about. Maybe do a complete reset and try again - settings, general, reset, reset all content and settings.

6. kembangan, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

kembangan macrumors newbie

Download apps to original iPad

I think the trick is to use your old, rather than your grandma's new Apple ID to download the app. I've had the same issue when I passed my original iPad on. It only prompts you to download pre-ios7 versions of Apps if you have previously purchased them. You can sign her back in once you're done downloading. There won't be any further updates for those apps anyway.