Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Apps that allow you to download files off the Internet, these are probably my most used apps right now on ios 7 on my 4s. 2 people I know are running ios 8 and they were complaining they could no longer download files from the Internet (mp3s and the like) from these sort of apps. I asked to see and sure enough the files just played in the browser and didnt download.

I looked on the AppStore on her 6 and tried probably a dozen of these download apps and none of them worked. This is really a big deal for me as to whether or not I stick with iOS.

So my question is has anyone else had this problem (I'm assuming yes if you use these apps) and is it deliberate on apples part or just something that needs to be patched or what? Couldn't find any posts about this kind of thing sorry if this questions been answered.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Apps that allow you to download files off the Internet, these are probably my most used apps right now on ios 7 on my 4s. 2 people I know are running ios 8 and they were complaining they could no longer download files from the Internet (mp3s and the like) from these sort of apps. I asked to see and sure enough the files just played in the browser and didnt download.

I looked on the AppStore on her 6 and tried probably a dozen of these download apps and none of them worked. This is really a big deal for me as to whether or not I stick with iOS.

So my question is has anyone else had this problem (I'm assuming yes if you use these apps) and is it deliberate on apples part or just something that needs to be patched or what? Couldn't find any posts about this kind of thing sorry if this questions been answered.

What specific apps are you talking about? The apps should still work as before I would think.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
The one I use on ios 7 is downloads by Hian Zin Jong, my sisters tried it on their ios 8 devices because they asked me what to use for downloading files and it didn't work either. They've been looking for an app to do this and none work that we have tried on ios 8.

If this is a intentional thing done by apple then I know I'm probably not buying an iphone again.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
I tried that app and it seemed to download a few pictures just fine. I'm using an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1.

Edit: I tried the free version.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I tried that app and it seemed to download a few pictures just fine. I'm using an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1.

Edit: I tried the free version.

Ah I didn't try pictures on the 2 iPhones on ios 8 I was more concerned about files.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Ah I didn't try pictures on the 2 iPhones on ios 8 I was more concerned about files.

Well, PDF files download OK too. MP3 files just played in the browser though. Probably has something to do with the fact that it looks like they are using Safari as the browser inside of their app and safari plays these files now. My guess is they would have to update their app to fix it.

----------

Actually, just figured it out. If you go to settings, MIME types and change audio to ask instead of play, it will prompt you to download the mp3 file.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Well, PDF files download OK too. MP3 files just played in the browser though. Probably has something to do with the fact that it looks like they are using Safari as the browser inside of their app and safari plays these files now. My guess is they would have to update their app to fix it.

----------

Actually, just figured it out. If you go to settings, MIME types and change audio to ask instead of play, it will prompt you to download the mp3 file.

Nice catch man my sisters really wanted this app to work thanks.

veronica.m

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
If this is a intentional thing done by apple then I know I'm probably not buying an iphone again.

As I remember over the years, Apple's policy was very strict about allowing content that wasn't verified by them. Thus leading to jailbroken iPhones, Sydia and more. So I think that they aren't going to make it easy to download files. But I hope I'm mistaken...

Alexender990

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2014
What specific apps are you talking about? Now a days Apple didn't allow such apps i think. i think you should screen captured app etc. Thank You:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.