Download Folder Crash

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by dgbarar, Dec 26, 2016.

1. dgbarar macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi All,

Has anyone noticed this on their 2016 MBP15. I was attempting to move something from inside the download folder on the dock to the trash bin. There was something of a "hiccup" and spinning beachball came on. After spinning beachball went away, the file I was attempting to move to trash ended up on the desktop. Then I went to back to the download folder and the contents would not fan out. The only way I could see the contents of the download folder was to select "Open Downloads". To correct the situation I had re-boot the machine. This has happened several times in the last 24 hours. Never had anyone thing like had on any previous version of OS X and my 2013 MBP and 2014 MBA. Has anyone else observed this behavior of the download folder.

Donald Barar

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd be willing to bet that restarting Finder (via the Force Quit dialog, accessible from the Apple menu or the Command + Option + Escape keyboard shortcut) would have also cleared this up.

3. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Good point. I'll give this a try next time it happens.

Donald Barar

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

YES!

I've been having this exact bug, caused by dragging items out of a stack.

One time my system totally locked up and all I could do was hold down the power button and reboot.

Other times I can open Terminal and run killall Dock which fixes it.

Since it's not just me I may file a bug report.

5. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Brookzy,

That happened to me a well. Caused other issues as well that on one occasion locked up the computer. That is why I rebooted. I will try your solution next time of killall Doc--if I can get to it. Excellent suggestion.

Donald Barar

6. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi All,

Had this happen again this morning. Restarting Finder did not resolve. I would have liked to have killall Dock. Unfortunately, the crash took out Finder and Launch Pad so I had no way to get to Terminal.

This is a bad bug and needs to be fixed since I do this a lot. Where do I submit big reports?

Donald Barar

7. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

http://bugreport.apple.com/

8. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Brookzy,

I have reported the bug. It would be terrific if you would also report. This way it may get some quick attention.

Don

9. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

just a thought: try removing the downloads folder from the dock. reboot. then, go to the actual downloads folder and add it back to the dock; perhaps try a different view option at first, see how that goes. then, go back to the setting you like.

again, just trying to think of what i would do in that case; i would change things up, to see what happens...

10. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Nice suggestion. I tried that. Did not work.

Thank you for your input FisherKing.

Donald Barar