Download Folder... SSD or HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandaopj, Apr 3, 2011.

1. brandaopj macrumors member

Hi:

I have an ocz vertex 2 120gb with the Mac OS installed as primary drive. I download lots of things like movies and musics and have the download folder in the SSD. Then i organizer my collections and move the downloaded files to a second hard drive (Scorpio Black 500gb) in the optibay.

Should i move the download folder to the HDD?
    I unmount the second hard drive most of the time because i dont need it.

Should i be worried with performance degradation?

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I'd have them download right to the hard drive. They'll already be on the drive they'd end up on anyway so organizing them will be much faster and you'll save a lot of read and writes from that SSD.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I have my downloads folder set to point to my HD, but go to the Mac Pro forums and download the Trim support program and no need to offload onto the HD.

On my next OS reinstall, I won't bother with moving my downloads folder thanks to cindori and his trim program.

4. Tonepoet, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

Perhaps I'm just being psychosomatic but I think the downloads themselves are actually faster to the SSD.While I have no idea what's actually going on behind the scenes I've hypothesized on how this could be since my internet connection hasn't changed. It's just a guess but I think perhaps the since the computer itself is able to write data to the SSD faster, it's capable of querying requests for data packets at a faster rate. In other words, I think the computer requests the data, writes it to disk, then requests the next packet of data.

Somebody care to tell me if I'm crazy or not?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP>> Whatever works best for you operationally, just do that. Don't worry about "wearing out" the SSD. You will be an old old man before that becomes an issue.