Download Freeze Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LBoogie, Dec 8, 2011.

1. LBoogie macrumors newbie

Hello, I must first apologize as I'm not tech savvy. I did attempt to search this forum for "Download Freeze" I read through a couple of threads but nothing that appears close to my issue:

My issue:

Attempted Mac OS X Update 10.6.8 v1.1 that was suggested when I clicked the Software Update.

Total update was 1.09 GB, system froze at 998.3 MB. I stopped the download and attempted the download again. Now froze at 977.8 The second attempt was even slower.

I was able to locate and open the Activity Monitor. However, it might as well be greek. Patience and assistance appreciated. Thanks!

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Are you able to access the Internet when things are frozen for your download?

How long did you wait between attempts to download?

Have you checked your download speed somewhere like www.speedtest.net when you were having the difficulty?

3. LBoogie thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm able to access the Internet during the freeze.

I attempted to re-download almost immediately.

I'm not directly connected to the router, here are the results of the speed test with wi-fi connection....looks pretty slow

Ping - 19 ms
    Download - 3.28 Mbps
    Upload - 0.85 Mbps

I'm assuming a hard connection to the router would increase speeds but could it correct the freeze?

BTW, thanks for the link to the speedtest

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Your latency is pretty low. Restart your machine (for good measure) and reattempt the download.

5. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

if you haven't done it yet try unplugging your wireless router, wait a minute, and plug it back in. You might as well unplug your dsl or cable modem at the same time.

6. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

If you have been avoiding updates for a long time it might be something with the updates folder. Go to

/Library/Updates and delete whatever's in that folder empty the trash then try again.

Do you have enough free space on your machine?

7. LBoogie thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to locate and delete the items in the Dowload Folder. Pretty simple! Also emptied the trash can. Restarted and attempted to re-download with freeze again.

I deciced to bring the device to work where the Wi-Fi speeds are considerably higher and eliminaite the router & modem from the issue. Was able to update to OS X 10.6.8 v1.1 software.

Going to attempt download of Office Home Professioanl Plus 2010 through HUP. The file is considerably larger than the upgrade. Lets hope it works. Thanks again for all the info/instruction. I will let you know how I make out.