download, install, delete all the time on SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ventuss, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

Is it ok to download and delete files all the time on an SSD? I have the 2013 iMac with 512GB, and I play a lot on bootcamp, problem is some games are huge, COD Ghosts has 28GB. I can't complain since my internet is superfast, I download that in half an hour.

I download, install, delete and re-download games all the time, is that ok? Will I damage my SSD in the long run by keep this routine?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Generally speaking the life span of SSDs far exceed the life spans of computers so unless you're doing thousands of downloads/install/deletes you should be ok.

3. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an external disk, problem is it does like 80MB/s against over 700MB/s on the SSD, loading times are huge, so I prefer to keep downloading and deleting games on the SSD.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Your SSD was designed to be used to read & write data. It was not designed to be an ornament.

Every single drive in existence has a life span. Just enjoy using your computer and stop worrying about trivial things like that. It's nearly as bad as those that seem to have a lot of spare time on their hands to constantly measure their CPU temperatures. I'm an I.T. professional that has never, ever, ever, ever so much as looked at the temp of my machines in over 20 years. It doesn't matter.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As I stated, the life expectancy of the SSD will outstrip that of the computer.

Use it and enjoy the fast access times.

6. CH12671 macrumors 6502

You should enable TRIM on it, though, so you will continue to enjoy "like new" speeds through all of those DL/install/delete cycles!