General Download limit

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by JasonHB, Jun 24, 2016.

1. JasonHB macrumors regular

Hi

Just downloaded an app which was 130Mb. However, this was using a 3G data connection with no warnings about the file size being too big.

I thought the limit was 100Mb. Has this changed?

I am running ios9.3.2 on an iPhone 6s

Thanks in advance

Jason

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Downloaded an app or update?

If it was an update, it's most likely the case that the update itself was under 100MB. The updates tab in the App Store shows the full app size and not the update size only. Therefore, if the update itself is under 100MB and the full app size is over 100MB, it will still download.

If it was a new app, it's possible that the app is using app thinning in order to get rid of extra clutter for other devices. Therefore after the thinning takes place, the app will be under 100MB on the download.

The 100MB limit still is in place. There are just a couple of scenarios that makes it appear to be gone.

3. GCHASE1995 macrumors 6502

GCHASE1995

I'm on iOS 10 Beta (I know not 9) but I just downloaded Game Of Thrones game which is 700 MB

4. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Looks like iOS 10 beta 1 will ignore this 100MB limit and still download anything, like app, update.

5. Dukins macrumors newbie

Dukins

Hallelujah I am definitely happy about this. You should be able to use your data at your discretion, but I see why apple had this implemented for so long.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Yeah don't count on it still working in final version of iOS 10. Probably just a bug in the beta.

7. Dukins macrumors newbie

Dukins

Probably right, but one can dream!

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Remember the outrage over WiFi assist? Apple will never get rid of app download limit. Some people aren't smart enough to check the size of an app before downloading and could go through their entire months data with one app download.

9. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

This makes many assumptions about internet access that may not be true anymore. Many people these days don't have a data plan for mobile use plus cable tv/internet at home with endless "free" wifi. I have only 4G/LTE.

I am a huge supporter of AAPL's efforts at a "post pc" world, but the data restrictions are a big hinderance to it.

10. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Those who have unlimited data want the limit removed. They should at least have an option to turn the limit on or off.

11. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

i hope it is true that they finally got rid of the restriction!

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

How is it making an assumption. The majority of people are on tiered data plans and don't have unlimited data. Therefore, if this limit is taken away and people aren't paying attention (which the majority of people do not) then they could use up 1-2GB almost immediately by downloading apps. Real Racing is 900MB, that alone could be someones entire monthly data limit. The problem is people don't pay attention. Then they will sue Apple for not paying attention and won't take personal responsibility for their mistake. Again, just like WiFi Assist.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

And WiFi Assist wasn't even a real issue pretty much for anyone. People were mostly upset that it was enabled than that it actually did anything (as it really didn't do anything or much of anything for the vast majority).

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Correct, it doesn't do much at all. Over the last year its used 60.6MB. But, Apple was hit with two class-action lawsuits over it. Now imagine if people used an entire month's worth of data downloading a couple of apps. The outrage would be 10 fold.

15. I7guy macrumors P6

People have posted on these forums they are upset enough they can't manage to live within a 200mb monthly allowance. I can only imagine the outrage when the first time someone blows through their data limit due to downloading a large app over cellular.

16. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

it shouldnt be so hard to add the switch... and even add a pop-up window to explain and ask the permission to turn it off with your password... if anyone complains after that, he or she should be under a ward.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

And people will still complain if not worse (file lawsuits and whatnot) because they didn't bother reading the warnings and just clicked through them and entered their password because they figured it was needed as part of the download process and not that it would use up all the data allowance they have. People are people.

18. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Apple eats lawsuits for breakfast. I highly doubt that they're not allowing this because of fear of the lawsuit lottery. Much more likely is that their business partners, the carriers, are requiring it.

Still feel so eager to defend it now?

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Do other phones, such as LG and Samsung have these limits in place? If not, then its clearly not the carrier and is Apple's decision solely. I would wager on the side of lawsuit fear. To your point, people sue Apple like crazy, so why risk adding another one?

20. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I don't know what limits LG or Samdung phones have. But it's entirely conceivable that carriers have different relationships with different phone makers.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Funny how no defense was provided for anything in the reply you quoted.

22. jkfrederiksen macrumors newbie

Here in denmark we have unlimited data sort of, with speeddrops if we get over 50 gb pr month, so here it will not be a problem.

For my self i hope they remove it.

23. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

A ward... Those people shoudlnt be let to make any kind of decicions by themselves because it is clear that they cant.

But seriously... There is something definitely wrong in the system if a judge even thinks about letting the case to come to the court after a person have refused to read terms, gave a password and still continued.

24. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I can hardly say users have zero fault for everything we have right now. We deserve what we have paid for.
    Users surely need to notice their data allowance. No matter how many prompts apple adds into iOS, people will eventually bypass all of them.

I keep my data usage tracked frequently, and shut down mobile data use for certain apps like YouTube. I believe this is my own responsibility, not apple's.

25. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Just downloaded a 500 MB game on cellular on iOS 10 beta 1.