Download Lion from a Macbook Pro that shipped with it?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Xeblade, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Xeblade, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

Xeblade macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I can download the Lion Installer from a brand new Macbook Pro that was shipped with Lion? I want to back it up, have a physical copy.

Is it possible? I've heard about a Lion Recovery tool or something. Can I use that to download without clean installing?
    In the App Store it says "Installed" but doesn't have it under the "Purchases" tab because it was pre-installed.

Thanks!

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

What I have done and tested using my new mbp 13 is creating the USB recovery disk ( thru Lion Recovery Disk Assistant ).

This creates a relatively small ( under 1 gig ) USB drive that you can use to reinstall onto a ( completely new ) hard drive.

It will download the operating system from apple over either a wired connection or via wireless. It may take a while depending on where you are and how much bandwidth is available.

Supposedly one can go into an apple store and do this with some apparently big time bandwidth available wireless in the store?

It seems pretty confusing about whether one can actually get a full OS install disk with a new macbook pro ... I decided after upgrading my machine that the USB flash based recovery and re-install the os over the internet worked good enough for me.

3. Xeblade thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, is there anyway you can just download the installer without putting it onto a USB or making it a recovery disk? So I can have the "Lion Installer" on my mac?
    Cheers