Download Lion on rMBP 2013

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Traverse, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Let me preface by saying: I am not asking for an illegitimate way to download OS X, that is against forum rules and I wouldn't do it anyway.

Back when I had an older MacBook Pro I purchased Lion and ML. My 2013 rMBP came with Mavericks. I want to download Lion and ML to run as virtual machines (I stupidly deleted the previous VMs).

When I select "download" in the MAS it just says that my system is too new. Is there any way to force download it?

2. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

Sadly I don't think it is compatible with your rMBP. But you can always use Lion in a virtual machine if you would like to be able to run it like that...better than nothing I guess..

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

If the "older" MBP and the Newer MBP are "linked" by the same Apple ID then you should be able to download both OSes and install inside Virtual Box...

4. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

But the MAS won't let me download it.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Are the 2 OSes download links still showing up on the "older" MBP via MAS ?

if they are then download them on the old MBP then transfer via flash drive to new MBP and install inside Virtual box

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just tried it on my 2013 MBA and get the same thing when I try to DL Lion from my purchases list

Looks like the App Store checks to see if you are running a Mac that will run Lion and blocks it. I don't know of any way around this.

[​IMG]

7. campyguy macrumors 68040

AFAIK the only legitimate means to buy a copy of Lion is by purchasing a DVD with that OS on it - $20 from Apple, or via CL or eBay. The old "Option-click" on the Purchases tab of the MAS hasn't worked in some time...

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I have Lion, ML, and Mavericks on my purchased list.
    If you want to download Lion, you have to be booted to a Mac that will run Lion.
    Conversely, you can only download Mavericks when booted to a Mac that will run Mavericks.
    Being an operating system, it would be (relatively) pointless to download a version that can't be installed on hardware that you are using.

Here's my plan: Download the current installer version (booted to hardware that allows it). Save the installer on some external drive so you can use it at your leisure. I just made a 32 GB flash drive that has partitions for each bootable installer from Leopard to Mavericks. (I have 5 Macs that can run some or all versions, and like to have the full installers available…)

@campyguy - Lion is not available on DVD, and never has been. As the Lion installer is not optimized to boot from optical media, booting and installing Lion from optical media is painful, at best. When you purchase Lion at the Apple online store, you get a validation code that allows you to download the installer from the App Store.

9. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

I no longer have the old MBP. It failed and I got a new one.

Thanks, that is what I assumed.

10. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

I found a way for anyone interested.

Running Mavericks as a Virtual Machine (Fusion 6 for me) allows you to download Lion and Mountain Lion from the MAS. Oddly, when I select Lion under 10.9 it asks if I want to download it since I am running 10.8. I guess VM Tools aren't really updated.