Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drcmw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I'm looking to upgrade to Lion. Currently running 10.6.8 on a 15" MBP with an iCore 5. Checked software compatibility and I believe I am good to go on the account.

What I want out of Lion is the iCloud functionality to keep all my stuff available across my Mac universe- iPhone & iPad, Apple TV at home, etc.

I'm by no means a power user, so I am little nervous about this install. Was planning to do it this weekend when I have some time to play with it if need be.

Question for you all- is there any difference between downloading Lion this weekend and then updating to 10.7.2 when its released vs. just waiting for the 10.7.2? If there is, should I just wait for 10.7.2. which will have iCloud baked right in or doesn't it matter? :confused:

drcmw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
TM it?

I've just read so much online about making boot disc pre-install to recover you're entire hard drive if there are problems, etc.

I mean, I have a Time Capsule, all info is backed up on there. If it really hits the fan, I do have a current AppleCare policy in this machine. I could always spend the afternoon on the phone with them if it gets really ugly.

Just not being a "power user", I've got the "early version jitters" since I don't really have the acumen to figure out bugs.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It shouldn't make much difference. From what we know from the developer previews, 10.7.2 is going to be a large update (almost 800MB), but it should fix some more of the bugs in Lion, as well as add iCloud. Which model are you upgrading?

Before you upgrade, just do a final inventory of PowerPC applications to make sure there isn't anything you still use, since PowerPC applications won't run under Lion. If there are, stick with Snow Leopard for now (the rumor is that Apple will release a 10.6.9 update to provide some iCloud functionality to Snow Leopard). But if you have no PowerPC applications you need then go right ahead.

Although I have a Time Capsule, I also have an external hard drive that I back up to every once in a while (usually monthly or before a major task like an OS upgrade) using Carbon Copy Cloner. It is much quicker to restore a clone than a Time Machine backup.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Good Advice

I also backup the lot to an external hdd. It really is not a big deal. You'll be done in no time, and wonder what you were worried about. The advice about old Power stuff is good. If you want to use those older applications then stay with SL.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
If you're not a "power user" I wouldn't worry about it. The bugs I have been experiencing are annoyances and new features that don't work right. Wouldn't hurt to upgrade if you're excited about trying Lion, and if you're backing up with Time Machine it won't hurt to go right back to where you were until 10.7.2 if you end up hating it. :)

ceej

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Northeast United States
I'm looking to upgrade to Lion. Currently running 10.6.8 on a 15" MBP with an iCore 5. Checked software compatibility and I believe I am good to go on the account.

What I want out of Lion is the iCloud functionality to keep all my stuff available across my Mac universe- iPhone & iPad, Apple TV at home, etc.

I'm by no means a power user, so I am little nervous about this install. Was planning to do it this weekend when I have some time to play with it if need be.

Question for you all- is there any difference between downloading Lion this weekend and then updating to 10.7.2 when its released vs. just waiting for the 10.7.2? If there is, should I just wait for 10.7.2. which will have iCloud baked right in or doesn't it matter? :confused:

The odds if you having no issues is better then not. This forum is just a bunch of people condensed into one problem-having bundle. It's gotten great reviews otherwise, and no one around me has any issues.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
i got my new imac 2 weeks ago but was snow leo pre installed..
im stickin with this till 10.7.2 comes out hopefully bug free..
already downloaded lion for free bs i bought my mac after lion was out and already got lion burned on a dvd, so when i upgrade i ll do a clean instal!!!:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.