Download Lossless Music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KettyKrueger, Feb 21, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Perhaps not the correct forum...

Is there anyplace out there that sells (legal) lossless music??

I'm prepared to give up buying CDs but not in exchange for lossy mp3s from the iTunes store.

Thanks.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Yes. Go to eTree.org for a start. All legally traded. All free. Mostly lossless. All via Torrent (you can request ones that aren't online at the moment).

As for commercial sources, there is very little unless you happen to be a Grateful Dead fan, in which case you should trot on over to dead.net.

I think you'll be very surprised at how much music is offered at etree, including live material and out of print cds.

There are other similar sites, but I think that is the best place to start.

FLAC and SHN are the predominant formats their, but you can always reconstitute (to the bit-for-bit original WAV files and then re-compress to the similarly lossless ALAC format for use in iTunes and on iPods).

Hope that helps!

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No need. Max converts FLAC directly to ALAC.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Hdtracks.com is one such place...

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

At this time you can't get most main stream music through lossless downloads and what you can get usually costs more than buying the CD. It just seems backwards to pay less to receive a physical package with the same info plus paper and plastic. I wish Apple and the majors would start offering all their music in Apple Lossless. Until then I will continue to buy the cheaper and higher quality CD.

6. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Thanks for the replies.

I agree, it's ridiculous that iTunes sell albums that cost more than CDs. I tend to buy CDs second hand these days from Amazon. For example, the other day I bought Throwing Copper by Live (not heard it for years and was feeling nostalgic) for 80p plus £1.20 p&p. What a bargain. I don't mind buyng second hand because I know it's only going to used onced, then stored away in my attic. But I hate waiting for CDs to arrive!!t