Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple News+ includes a feature that lets you download your favorite magazines for offline reading so you can check them out even when you don't have a WiFi or cellular connection, such as while on a flight.

Here's how to do it:
  1. Open up Apple News+ on iPhone or iPad.
  2. Choose a magazine, either from your My Magazines list, the search feature in Apple News, or the browse feature in the Apple News+ section.
  3. Tap on the download icon underneath the magazine's title. It looks like a little cloud with an arrow through it.
    applenewsofflinereading-800x780.jpg
  4. Tapping on the download icon will make the magazine available to read offline.
You can use the browse feature or the My Magazines feature to add current issues for offline reading, but make sure to use the search feature or tap a magazine's name when reading it to go to the main overview that will let you download past magazine issues.

For more on Apple News+, make sure to check out our dedicated Apple News+ guide. Apple News users can follow MacRumors on Apple News using this link.

Article Link: How to Download a Magazine for Offline Reading in Apple News+

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Heads up, you cannot delete an issue once it’s downloaded. And manually downloaded issues don’t delete unless you run out of storage space.

Reactions: simonmet

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Heads up, you cannot delete an issue once it’s downloaded. And manually downloaded issues don’t delete unless you run out of storage space.
That is bad.. You sure?
[doublepost=1554852858][/doublepost]I wonder if one now can download news articles as well. It would be nice to be able to download news articles prior to departing on a flight somewhere so one has something to read on a flight. Although what one downloaded one should be able to delete those news articles once they are done reading them upon landing rather then being stuck with them using up storage space on iPhone or ipad

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
It’s beyond me that Apple News (not +) doesn’t work offline anyway.

I fly weekly and every time I open the News app I can’t read anything of the stories. It’s madness. I would have thought that many people would want to read the news in places where there’s no internet. Trains, Planes, Tubes etc etc.

It could poll the web each morning and download your stories ready for you to read them whenever you want.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
It’s beyond me that Apple News (not +) doesn’t work offline anyway.

I fly weekly and every time I open the News app I can’t read anything of the stories. It’s madness. I would have thought that many people would want to read the news in places where there’s no internet. Trains, Planes, Tubes etc etc.

It could poll the web each morning and download your stories ready for you to read them whenever you want.

Yeah, for those who fly often it is madness not to be able to download for later viewing. Imagine only having option to listen to music or watch movie/video via streaming :rolleyes:o_O

bclarkj

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004

Apple News+ includes a feature that lets you download your favorite magazines for offline reading so you can check them out even when you don't have a WiFi or cellular connection, such as while on a flight.

Here's how to do it:
  1. Open up Apple News+ on iPhone or iPad.
  2. Choose a magazine, either from your My Magazines list, the search feature in Apple News, or the browse feature in the Apple News+ section.
  3. Tap on the download icon underneath the magazine's title. It looks like a little cloud with an arrow through it.
    applenewsofflinereading-800x780.jpg

4. Tapping on the download icon will make the magazine available to read offline.
You can use the browse feature or the My Magazines feature to add current issues for offline reading, but make sure to use the search feature or tap a magazine's name when reading it to go to the main overview that will let you download past magazine issues.

For more on Apple News+, make sure to check out our dedicated Apple News+ guide. Apple News users can follow MacRumors on Apple News using this link.

Article Link: How to Download a Magazine for Offline Reading in Apple News+
[doublepost=1555297168][/doublepost]Was just on a flight with my iPad in Airplane mode. Was not able to view any of my downloaded magazines. Sigh.

IUReport

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2019
[doublepost=1555297168][/doublepost]Was just on a flight with my iPad in Airplane mode. Was not able to view any of my downloaded magazines. Sigh.

As a long-time Texture reader, the Apple version is quite disappointing. Where are auto-downloads of favorites and easy deletions? They have managed to screw up the best features and make it decidedly less convenient for their consumers. Duh. Subscription cancelled.

Missing Texture

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2019
As a long-time Texture reader, the Apple version is quite disappointing. Where are auto-downloads of favorites and easy deletions? They have managed to screw up the best features and make it decidedly less convenient for their consumers. Duh. Subscription cancelled.

I am also VERY dissatisfied with this Apple version. It is not user friendly at all. I tried downloading several magazines to read on a flight, but was not able to access them offline. Texture was such a user friendly resource for finding magazines and downloading them to read offline was easy. It is unbelievable that Apple does not have a way to delete them once they have been uploaded!!! I also notice an overt liberal bias with the news articles. I will also be cancelling and pray Texture comes back.

ejreiter

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
[doublepost=1565704267][/doublepost]I am planning for a 10-hour non-stop flight and found this article. Obviously wanted to download magazines and was troubled to read this post. Apple apparently responded to the issue by allowing the downloaded magazines to be available while in airplane mode, as well as when you do not have access to wireless or cellular signals. I just downloaded about 10 magazines and turned off all signals, magazines are available to be read. Still no way to delete the magazines. I have an XS Max with 256 gig of space, so I am not worried, at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.