Download ML now but install later?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GhostMac24, Sep 11, 2012.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Just bought a MBA this past week and it has Lion installed (10.7.4) and am supposed to download ML 10.8 within a certain time frame (30 days) or I'd have to pay for it. I have a few programs that I am not sure are 10.8 compatible and do not want to upgrade to 10.8 until I know for sure.

I was sent the download code in an email after submitting my "UP TO DATE" claim but did NOT download yet until I know for sure what I need to do in order to download but install at a later date.

So.....will it allow me to download but not install? Or do I have to find where it downloaded and save it somewhere, etc? (i.e., much like when Lion came out for SL users and it was saved to a jump drive, etc).

Thanks for any replies in advance!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

When you download it, it goes in your Applications folder. You can run it anytime.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, you do not have to install, immediately after the download. In fact I'd back up the installer just in case, since the upgrade process removes it when its down upgrading.

4. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Once you download it with your APple ID, it becomes part of your "purchase history", so you can redownload it at any point after that with that Apple ID.

5. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Awesome replies. Thanks all!!!

Another great outcome from the Macrumors brain trust ;)

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

once you download it will automatically open to a screen asking you to continue, just quit this and you can install when you want

7. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

I also just found a step by step primer on creating an install drive on a flash drive (much like I did for OSX 10.7). I'll do that as well so I don't have to download to my other computers.

Thanks again all!