Download mp3-files directly to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkarlsson, May 9, 2014.

1. jkarlsson macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

Is there a way to directly download a mp3-file from an URL, without use of any apps?

I am developing a concept where the users should be able to scan a QR or follow an URL to download a free song I will provide (I own the legal rights).
    I have trouble finding any solution for this.

Thank you in advance.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Download, as in to the Music app?

No, there is no way to do that directly, it would have to go through iTunes. Otherwise, a 3rd party app would be required.

3. serega macrumors regular

Wouldn't email MP3 file and open it work? Just guessing.

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Download the free VLC player and give it the download link. That might work.

Can't download it to the iOS music app without using iTunes on the desktop.

5. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

You can do this easily for Android, iOS no as virtually everthing has to go though iTunes.

6. jkarlsson thread starter macrumors newbie

IT is as I feared. - Well, a clever work around is needed. Thank you for your answers!

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Good lick with you clever work around as iTunes has ALWAYS been required to do this. This is one of my biggest complaints about the iOS system is everything has got to go though iTunes!

8. elev8d macrumors 6502

You can download an mp3 to your phone if you have the right app and the web address that you are trying to download from... VLC. VLC player is available in the app store. You do not have to jail break your phone.

VLC has a download function in the main menu where you enter in the URL of the media you want to download and it will save the mp3 or other media file to your phone.