Download old OS X from newer OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xplocvo, Nov 24, 2014.

1. xplocvo macrumors member

I inherited an old Mac Mini that had a failing hard drive. It supports up to OS X Lion, so I purchased a license for Lion via the Apple Store. I was hoping to take the download and make a USB stick out of it in order to install on the new hard drive I put in. I added that to my Mac App Store account, but when I attempt to download it from my Macs running Yosemite, I get an error that it can't be installed on this Mac. Does anyone know of some backdoor method to download the setup file from a Mac running OS X later than the one I'm trying to download?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Try holding Option while clicking on the Download button.

3. xplocvo thread starter macrumors member

Tried that (Alt in my case since using a Windows keyboard), but still the same error.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... won't work. It will not let you DL an OS version from the App Store that will not run on that machine.

What year is the Mini? If it is on this list, you may be able to get the OS on there with a command-option-r (all three keys at once) boot to Internet recovery.

5. xplocvo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link, it's a mid-2007 Mini though. Fortunately I was able to find a Mac at work this morning still running 10.6 so I'm downloading it from there.