Download or Disc

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Mac'nCheese, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Thinking of buying my first XBOX and saw that the new Call of Duty (like other games, of course), can be purchased by download or by buying a disc. I was trying to think of the plus or minuses of either purchase and can only come up with if I download, I can't break/lose the disc but I also can't sell it if I get bored of it. Am I missing anything else?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have the Xbox One and have been doing a mix of both. If it is something like COD that I think I will want to keep a long time and keep playing online MP, I get the digital. If it is something like say Assassins Creed that I will pretty much play through the campaign then not play it any longer, I get the disk then sell it after to recoup some of my money. I have been selling the disks on Amazon trade-in and the process is very easy. I usually get around half of what I paid back.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have no worries in buying digital games for my Xbox 360 or PS3/4/Vita because of how their account system works. I'll avoid it for Nintendo's until they get a similar system in place.

I like to think of games as "will I be playing this for a long time? Will I always want access to it?". If the answer is yes I'll get it as a download. If it's "this will be a rare or collectible game" then it's a definite no!

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Thanks. Do you guys use the play and charge kit or regular batteries? Just want to know if the rechargeable battery is worth it and works well. I always went rechargeable with wii and never had a problem.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been using the Eneloop rechargeables here and they work great.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I do a mixture of both. Destiny I got on disc as I wasn't sure if it will be a long-time game for me. D3 I got digital as I know what kind of game it is and will come back to it time and time again.

Halo Masterchief Collection I went digital but sports games are usually disc.

On the 3DS XL I almost always go digital as I have a 64GB card in that thing :)

The WiiU I do mostly discs as I have tons of the old games downloaded onto it.

7. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

So the digital games...do they live in a cloud like apps so if you get a different device or upgrade, you can use it on that or is it just for the one Xbox/3ds you download to.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They are attached to your Xbox live account so you can download again if you replaced your Xbox one for example.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They're tied to your account so you can redownload them as often as you like, even to your other systems. It's not like Nintendos system which is pretty limiting. Consoles now are pretty close to offering what Steam and iOS does in regards to game ownership.