Download problems in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Riverrun, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Riverrun macrumors regular

Just noticed that I can't download stuff in Safari...no problems using Opera. It's annoying because Safari is my favourite browser. I haven't a clue what's wrong or how to troubleshoot it as I'm new to Mac. I'm using a black Macbook with Mac OS X 10.4.11. Any ideas as to where I might look for the problem?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What are you trying to download? Can you give us an example?

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

what exactly happened after you click a link to download files?

4. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Have you looked in your downloads stack?

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

he is using 10.4.11????

6. Riverrun thread starter macrumors regular

Woh...what a mess. I have four browsers, Safari (Favourite), FF, Camino and Opera and Opera is the only one that will download anything for me. This evening, I tried to download Miro using Safari and when that failed, I moved on to Opera; it worked. Later, as an experiment, I tried to download Adium using Safari, FF and Camino.
    This is what happens...the blue pinstripe colour will start in the url bar and after a brief instant it will quit. It will only move a fraction of the way across the url bar, maybe 1/10 of the way and then stop. Clicking the 'manual download' produces the same result. The blue pinstripe gets to the second / in http:// and then stops and disappears.

In Camino and Firefox, I get redirected back to the Google search-page, it's a real pain. Is there anyting I can do? Any ideas anyone?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

repair permission
    repair disk
    clear system cache

8. Riverrun thread starter macrumors regular

Did all of those things and still haven't found a solution

9. Riverrun thread starter macrumors regular

The only thing I did that I can think of is that I had a peep at the ipTables using the command: man ipfw in terminal. When I went to close the consol it said:
    Closing this window will terminate the following processes inside it: login, bash, man, sh, sh, groff, less, troff, grotty

I naturally closed the terminal taking care not to change anything. I don't think that this was enough to cause the problem.

10. Riverrun thread starter macrumors regular

Here's a real kicker, an absolute sickner, both Safari and Camino will happily download .exe files for Windoze but will not do the same with Mac .dmg files.
    Go figure.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

my low level mac knowledge suggest a re-installation of OSX, probably overkill, but its the best I can think of.

12. Riverrun thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try reinstalling the 10.4.11 update from the Apple Combo.

13. stcato macrumors newbie

Safari download problems

Funny !! I'm having same problems at end of August after installing Snow leopard - again only Opera works have spent 1 1/2 hrs talking to Apple and problem still not resolved

14. Syonidism macrumors regular

hi all,

ive also had this same problem with safari; I couldn't download any of the zip,dmg,tar... compressed file formats and some more media specific ones.

The thing is that in my case my old download managers' .plists were conflicting with the current one (iGetter, so happy with it) anyways heres what u do:

- go into ~/users/library/preferences and look for the old Download managers' .com's and .plists or any kind of leftover property list (plist, get it?).

- if that didn't solve it (which in my case didn't because i was trying out A LOT of download managers, folx, speeddownload,download manager etc.) go into ~/users/library/internet plug-ins/ and delete the files of the managers in there. Mine had only 4 to my suprise and i just deleted one...of folx's.

Hope that helps.

15. devburke Guest

Does anything show up in your Downloads window (Window > Downloads)?