Download problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HubyD, Oct 17, 2010.

1. HubyD macrumors newbie

Hi,

First time poster here ;) I've switched to mac about 2 months ago, but I noticed something's wrong with downloading files.

Here's my problem:
    When I want to download a file, there should be an automatic pop-up to ask if I want to download the file, however it doesn't show up. The only way I can download files now is by right-clicking on the link and then press "Download Linked File" (sometimes doens't work, for example to download itunes from the apple site). This happens on any website.

I have this problem with both Firefox and Safari.

I hope you guys can help me out with this.

Thanks in advance,
    Huby

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Safari does not ask, if you want to download a file, it just downloads it and saves it in the Downloads folder under Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Downloads. You can see active or past downloads in Safari via Safari > Menu Bar > Window > Downloads (Option/Alt + Command + L). As for Firefox, have you checked the Preferences (Command + ,)? The same with Safari...

3. HubyD thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it actually doesn't download. It's not just the pop-up window not showing up (if i rightclick, save as...: the download window shows up).

For example: I have the following link (legal, they share their music):
    http://www.thisis-management.com/veracruz_EP.zip

When i copy paste it into firefox, it just shows a white screen (no problem there), but no download starts whatsoever.

If I paste it into safari, the safari screen blinks blank for a split second, and then just returns to the previous page I was on without any download starting.

No files download automaticly (I checked the folder).

I can, however, download files with a download manager (jDownloader for example).

I find it quite odd it doesn't work in both my browsers.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does this happen since you have that download manager (or any other download manager) installed?
    They often frell something up and make the browsers one uses unable to download properly.