Download SDK from Apple Free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevink8125, Jul 30, 2008.

1. kevink8125 macrumors member

kevink8125

if I want to make apps and test them, just for my phone, can I download the SDK software for free and make apps like in the keynote; With the pre-made stuff that you can drag and drop?? thnks

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

you can download the SDK and try it out for free, but if you want to put the apps on your phone to try out yourself, you need to pay the $99, which also allows you to publish apps to the store.

3. kevink8125 thread starter macrumors member

kevink8125

so there is no way i can just download it and makes app for my own personal use for free?

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

No as said above to get your custom app onto your iPhone you have to pay $99.

5. OpenWheelFan macrumors member

hmm... So, just hypothetically...

If I want to play around with an app that takes advantage of gps (specifically, the geotagging info embedded in iPhone photos), then I can't really get a reasonable set of tests executed without being officially registered (I.e., $99 fee)? Interesting...

6. thomazwrx macrumors newbie

I dont see apple trying a app it didnt approve. Even if you made it yourself and just want to try it out

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

Don't be fooled by the "drag and drop" programming you saw in the demo. In order to make the app do anything, you still need to know how to program.

8. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

You can download the SDK for free, but you can only use the on screen emulator to test you programs without paying the fee.

9. kevink8125 thread starter macrumors member

kevink8125

how hard is it to make say a very basic app?? not a game lets just say something using contacts...

10. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

If you dont have programming skills pretty hard. I messed with the SDK for about an hour and was totally lost.

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

getting the app to read your contacts isnt too hard, if you have some basic programming skills. if you have never done any before, you will be totally lost

12. OpenWheelFan macrumors member

is there pretty much a complete lack of documentation? Is there, at least, documentation of the calls, their functionality, and parameters? A cookbook, with programming examples? (I'll be picking up an iMac this afternoon, so hopefully, I'll be downloading the sdk later today!)

13. robhedin macrumors regular

There is plenty of documentation, just most of it is in the form of reference material and not tutorials. All of the APIs are documented so that's not a problem.

The SDK is under NDA, so there are no books (i.e. cookbooks) available yet.

Apple does provide several sample applications, however. These may or may not make sense based on your knowledge level.

rob.

14. firewood macrumors 604

Yes. You can download the SDK for free if you agree to the NDA and other terms of the license. You can make apps for your personal use. You can run them on the simulator.

However, to run any apps on any stock device, even the example apps on your own device, requires at least a $99 developer enrollment to obtain a certificate and provision that the SDK and device will recognize and allow.

You could make a simple flashlight app using only drag-and-drop. Almost anything else, even a tip calculator, or modifying the examples, will require reading a lot of API documentation and SDK/Objective C tutorials.

15. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

If you don't know programming it is very difficult to make anything. I don't know any programming at all, but I downloaded it to try it out. Well, i could easily do the drag and drop part of the sdk to make nice buttons and things. But without knowing programming, my buttons and things couldn't do anything. I make a nice looking screen that did nothing. You'll need to learn programming to even make simple apps. Maybe someday apple will make some type of software development program that even a layperson can use, but not as of now.

16. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

P.S.
    You won't be able to take advantage of the geotags in pictures in your camera roll.

Those pictures are off limits as is. You only have access to the resized EXIF-stripped pictures.