Download speed constantly decreses within 30 seconds

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kristapsb, Jun 14, 2010.

1. kristapsb macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have problem with download speed - for example, I start downloading a file in Safari with 2.3 mb/s, after approximately 30 seconds speed starts to decrease - 2.1, 1.9, 1.7...till some kb/sec. And this problem is not only with Safari, the same is with Fugu. It's a hardware problem or software? Wireless router works great.

MacBook 4,1 , Snow Leopard with latest updates.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Doesn't sound like a hardware problem, although it could be a hardware problem with your router.

3. kristapsb thread starter macrumors newbie

Router seems to be fine, because with Transmit or Firefox download speed is ok. With other laptop I can download files normally.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Hmm that is interesting. What version of Safari are you using? What's your OS? What's your machine?

5. kristapsb thread starter macrumors newbie

Safari 5. With 4.X was the same problem. OS - Snow Leopard with latest updates. The same was with 10.5.X.

MacBook 4,1 - 2.4GHz, 2GB of RAM, GMA X3100.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

My guess is it's an issue with something both Safari and Fugu use. Does Fugu use webkit at all? If that's the case, try reinstalling Safari, although I doubt that will do anything since you said the problem existed in 4.x.x.

I'm not exactly a pro trouble shooter, so I've run out of ideas. The only thing I can suggest, and I hate suggesting it for things like this, but maybe repair disk permissions.

If you don't know how to repair permissions, open up terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and enter "diskutil repairPermissions /"

or do it through Disk Utility.app.

7. kristapsb thread starter macrumors newbie

Disk permissions is allready repaired. After few hours I will try to reinstall Safari.

Since i bought this MacBook in Latvia, I have 2 years warranty. I could try to give it for repairs, but..problem is not so usual.

8. kristapsb thread starter macrumors newbie

Reinstalled Safari 5, just installed 10.6.4 update and still same sh*it... :mad:

9. NJuul macrumors 6502

It sounds like your download actually times out.
    I think the download speed in safari is calculated as total download / seconds spent, and if it suddenly stops downloading, you will see that drop in speed until it hits zero. Don't know about Fugu..
    Does it always happen, or just with a specific file or a specific website?

10. kristapsb thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens randomly. With todays updates - 10.6.4 and iTunes 9.2 was same bug.