Download speed on Macbook pro running slow.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sony007, Mar 20, 2014.

1. sony007 macrumors member

So what it is is that I have 2 laptops, an older Dell xperion M1730 and recent Macbook Pro. When I use Utorrent on the Dell running Vista I can get speeds of up to 25MB/s but then it does crash so unfortunately at the moment I cannot get it to remain stable and increase the speed whether thats Utorrent or windows I have no idea. I have tweaked some setting in Utorrent from info I found online but it still crashes when d/l at 25MB/s.

My main issue though is when I download the same file on my Macbook Pro, I can only get a d/l speed of no faster than 12MB, I was expecting the speed to surpass that of my Dell as it has a SSD and obviously is a new laptop. Would this issue be to do with changing some configurations in Utorrent on the Mac ? I found info online about speeding up the d/l with Utorrent for Macs but nothing really worked.

What is the maximum d/l speed for the macbook pro and windows using Utorrent ?

Thanks

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Just as a matter of interest, what speed is your broadband?
    I'm sorry I don't know why the difference in speeds, maybe different wifi speeds.

Barney

3. sony007 thread starter macrumors member

I've got a 1Gig connection. The 25Mb/s was via the ethernet and the same connection was used on the macbook pro.

4. Dweez, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014

Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

More details would help.

What's the advertised speed of your internet connection?

Do you have a wired or wireless connection between your laptops and router? If wireless, are you using something like WPA/WPA2 encryption on both laptops?

Have you used something like speedtest.net to get a baseline on both laptops?

I have a few macs on my home network, 3 wireless and 2 wired, and my download performance is more or less the same across the board. And those speeds compare to a wired linux box and wired windows 7 box.

Wired linux box:
    [​IMG]

Wireless mabook air:
    [​IMG]

Wired macbook pro:
    [​IMG]

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Some network setting or another is not playing nice with your macbook pro.

By the way, having a SSD has absolutely no bearing on your internet connection's performance. The day we'll get residential connections that can saturate a magnetic platter hard drive, let a alone a SSD that is 5 to 10 times faster is verrrry far off in the future still.

6. sony007 thread starter macrumors member

The advertised download speed is 1Gig. It's a a wired ethernet connection for both laptops.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3383723595

The download speed does get higher doing a speedtest but on average I'd say its around 720Mb/s

----------

Yeah I though that about the SSD so I assume it must just be the settings on Utorrent on the mac

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

8. sony007 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure 1gig will be coming your way soon m8, the government as well as private companies are all behind better and faster broadband for all, just how it should be.

I had to send an email to my provider today asking why I'm not receiving 1gig on my speed test, I also phoned up and spoke to someone who explained how it works when they install their service in apartments, even though my line can handle 1gig I won't see that actual speed... I was not happy. Bearing in mind what it says in their literature and what I was informed before signing up, not that I'll need 1gig speed anytime soon about from torrents and even that only goes to 25Mb/s ...so far!

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I feel even more inferior here...

Attached Files: