Download speed really slow. Don't know why.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RandomHavoc, May 26, 2010.

1. RandomHavoc macrumors member

Hi all,

this is my first post on these boards. I live in Ontario Canada and just switched from using Rogers cable internet to Teksavvy DSL internet due to not liking the 60 gig downloading cap that Rogers has.
    But now I'm downloading at 15-35 KB/s whereas with Rogers it was at around 300 KB/s and I need to figure out why and how to fix it.

I have a Speedtouch 546 modem which is connected to my Airport Express. My cpu itself is a MacBook Pro.

I tried going in and manually changing the channel on the airport. It was set to Automatic, so i set it to 1, then to 11, and neither made any difference.

I checked reviews on Teksavvy before signing up and everyone said it was comparable speed to Rogers.

PLEASE HELP!!

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

DSL speeds are limited by distance from phone company 'switch' locations...fiber optic can be fed into your neighborhood 'switch' but between there are your home it's all copper wire and at approximately 4 miles distance, the signal is not strong enough to transmit data.

I am guessing that you are probably located 3-4 miles from said switch or the copper wiring seriving you home/apt is very old and noisy and therefore giving you such poor reception/speeds.

DSL can be comparable to cable if and only if the conditions/location is just right.

That being said, I don't think there is anything that YOU can do...it's all the nature of DSL.