Download speed slow, spyware?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jwhite878, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jwhite878 macrumors regular

Hey guys. Lately, my download speed has been unacceptably slow. Could I have downloaded some spyware or something by accident? Can you get anything like this from just being on a website or do you have to download and install it? If something's wrong, how do I fix the problem? Thanks!:)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

In Mac OS X you have to install it manually with entering your password (if you have one).

Check your down- and upload speed at www.speedtest.net and also take a look at Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor > Network and see what up- and download speeds (Data received, Data sent) you achieve during no browsing activities.

[​IMG]

3. jwhite878 thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I came up with.

Attached Files:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That looks okay, what does www.speedtest.net say again?

Have you also tried another browser or resetting your default browser?

Is it only happening to specific websites or to all of them?

5. jwhite878 thread starter macrumors regular

6. jwhite878 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I have tried another browser. So far, safari is the fastest. And the downloads are slow in general. I notice this especially on iTunes. I'll give resetting a shot though. I tmay also be the distance from the router.

7. jwhite878 thread starter macrumors regular

Should I reset everything or just specific parts?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

In other words, you have a download speed of roughly 500KB/s and an upload speed of 62KB/s, thus an average song being downloaded from the iTunes store should not take more than half a minute.

What kind of network settings do you use and also take a look at the AirPort Menu Bar icon and click on it while holding down the OPTION/ALT key and see, what it says under Transmit Rate.

You can leave the marked part unchecked.

[​IMG]

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

9. jwhite878 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have a password and for my set up I have an airport extreme and an airport express extending it. The transmit rate is 54.

EDIT: Oh sorry, I'll remember the edit next time.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Set a password and see if that helps. Maybe someone is leeching off your internet connection, thus the slow browsing experience.

The transmit rate of 54 tells us, that either your router or your Mac only have 802.11b/g wireless capabilities, thus only 54Mbit/s transfer speeds, roughly translating to 5MB/s.

11. jwhite878 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, when I changed the password it knocked out the connection to the express, and I've been out in the sun all day so I am reallllly tired. Is it cool if we fix it tomorrow?