Download speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akiewra, Jul 6, 2015.

1. akiewra macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a question about download speed. I'm currently trying to download World of Warcraft on my 2012 Macbook Pro.

On Wifi:
    Hovering around 125 KB/s. After running a Speedtest it says I should be working at around 17.9 MB/s.

Went out and bought an adapter to connect to ethernet and:
    I went from downloading at 125 KB/s wirelessly to 120 KB/s connected to ethernet.
    Speedtest is also telling me I should be up to 57.64 MB/s when connected to ethernet.

So, this is very frustrating. I figured download speed would be much faster when connected hardwire rather than wirelessly.

Any solutions? Much appreciated!

Edit: sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. Created an account just for this issue.

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

WOW servers are busy that's all. Try again on a less congested time

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Download speeds has 100% to do with your ISP's speed and the server you're downloading from's speed.

Your Macbook Pro has nothing to do with this. Most likely Blizzard's servers are busy as heck.

4. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Don't mix MB and Mb ... 57.6 Mbps (which is your connection speed) translates to 7,2 MBps of max download speed. Eight bits (b) = one byte (B)

5. JackieInCo, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

JackieInCo macrumors 601

ISPs advertise their speeds as Mbps because it sounds better then saying 8MBps. Just pointing this out, something I heard years ago. Comcast has a deal where they offer speeds up to 50Mbps but people think they are getting 50MBps and they get all excited. It's still fast but MB and Mb are different measurements.