Download Speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockinrod53, Oct 19, 2015.

1. rockinrod53 macrumors newbie

rockinrod53

Good morning to all. New to this forum. I'm retired as of Jan 2012, from Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Took early retirement at age 58...Been living in the Philippines since then. Should be heading back the the States soon I hope. Once our business here is finished. Glad to be here sharing ideas, and our problems with our MAC's and hopefully find answers!

I've been a dedicated MAC owner since I retired for almost 4 years now. My newest being a MACBOOK Pro Retina, manufactured in the Fall of 2014. I just found out about the newest OS X EL Capitan and have been trying to download it since 2pm yesterday our time. Total download file is 6.09 GB, I am only at 937.2mb. I'm using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, which came with the system...

At this rate it will take about 5 days! Is anyone experiencing the same slow download times for this program? And I was wondering is there a way to speed this up. This is the worst I have seen in all my 18 years of owning computers! Thank you all, and happy to be here....

RB

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well it'll depend on your internet speed, your wifi bandwidth and router and the local servers being used by apple I'm afraid.

Why not just wait until you get home it's certainly not imperative to run the latest OS straight away and you'll avoid all the little bugs and niggles that will be sorted out on the next release.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's 100% dependent on your network's speed. There is nothing you can do about it apart from seeking somewhere with faster internet.

4. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Philippines is the worst place that have an internet connection. Ridiculous prices for 300 times slower internet than here in LA. I pay $50/month on 300 Mbps which is only Php 2250/month. OS X El capitan download in under 4 minutes on my MBA.

5. rockinrod53 thread starter macrumors newbie

rockinrod53

Looks like I may have to wait. Download keep failing is the problem. I was 1.60 gig in to it. This must be a much larger download than Yosemite was. That one only took about 1/1/2 hours, strange...

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The full Yosemite installer was 5.73 Gb and the full El Capitan installer is 6.08 Gb, so not that much different in size.

7. rockinrod53 thread starter macrumors newbie

rockinrod53

Well, here's the latest. Seems I just dug myself a deeper hole. Going back to your reply. When I upgraded to Yosemite over a year ago, I had the same internet connection 3mps...It took that 5.73gig software about 2 hours to download...This El Capitan has taken me 2 days, and I only got 1.76 gb of it on here...So, I'm trying to figure out, is it my modem speed, or the Apple Server here in Singapore, where this is coming from?? And this modem was replaced just last week. I did a speed check on it yesterday it ran anywhere from 1.5 up to 3.8 gps, should have been ample enough to handle this new OS...

Just don't know, this is my first time encountering this type of problem.

8. rockinrod53 thread starter macrumors newbie

rockinrod53

Problem solved, but I ended up having to take it to an Apple Store and they re-installed my OS, to El Capitan, and even though I have a new 3-yr service contract, it does not cover the software issues, just hardware...But at least it's okay now. It took all night for me to reinstall the OS from the online Apple Store, BTW. Before going to the Apple Dealer at our local Mall, then they ended up wiping the whole thing off anyway. Cost was P2,500. or $ 54.00

I am have our local ISP check our area to see if we can do an upgrade to a faster internet speed. I also purchased the adapter from USB to Ethernet to do a direct connection from the modem. I tried it, but it did not seem to make much of a difference. All I can say is, I sure do miss my COX.NET cable connection. That pathetic 6.08gb would have been downloaded in a minute or so! Anyway I just wanted to update you guys of what i did. Thanks for your help everyone!

RB

9. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I am on a fiber optic connection 20MB/s or in their lying terms 160mb/s + downloads. When the security update came out for 10.9.5 yesterday or day before I was getting a whopping 30kb/s from Apple servers or roughly five hours for ~300mb download. I would go with you getting the same useless connections as I was to their servers. Ended up quitting and restarting it couple of times during this I had failed connections to the server messages pop up.

10. rockinrod53 thread starter macrumors newbie

rockinrod53

Yes, I agree with you. Even though we may be rated for a specific service and speed, the origin of the download really could make the difference. I did a speed check on my 3MPS modem, I was actually getting speeds up to 4.2MPS, yet when i checked my download speed from the Apple Store, I was only downloading between 40-70kps on average. Not near fast enough for that 6.08 gig file...I kept getting a "terminated download" error it kept taking so long...