Download using Windows

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mcmul, Apr 14, 2014.

1. mcmul macrumors 6502

I need to download and burn OS X Mavericks using Windows. (Tonight I will be imaging my new SSD.)

Does anybody know any direct download locations, preferably from Apple? I can't use torrents.

2. simsaladimbamba

Apple does not offer downloads of OS X 10.9 Mavericks via Windows.
    What about using your already existing Mac before redoing it? Or do you have access to another Mac?

You could always try Internet Recovery via CMD+R upon startup.

3. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought as much. Unfortunately my Mac's SSD died last week and is in the process of being sent away for repair. Internet Recovery is certainly an option, however I would like to avoid this because the internet is much slower at home. Never mind, thanks anyway.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The official way to get Mavericks is via the App Store on OSX. It is certainly possible to download combo updates directly on OSX, Windows or Linux but to download the entire OS outside the OSX App Store you are faced with going outside "normal" channels and we aren't really supposed to discuss details of such things here.

I can't understand why you would need Mavericks and not have access to a Mac. Are you working with a Hackintosh? If so, there are forums which deal with issues specific to those systems. If you do have a Mac, you can re-download the "Install OSX Mavericks.app" and spend a little time making yourself a bootable USB stick. I just installed an SSD this past weekend and all I could find was an old developer preview USB stick and a 10.9.0 USB stick. I had forgotten to make myself one for 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 so I would up sitting through the 10.9.2 combo update after the install.

If you start from your existing Mavericks install and use the recovery partition, it does not offer you the option of installing to a new disk.

Sorry to hear about the slow internet. That is the down side of doing internet recovery. I remember hearing that Apple handed out USB sticks to people who were having problems with internet recovery way back when the recovery partition was first introduced. Perhaps it's worth asking if they would provide you with one.