Download videos in ML?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jedi5, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Before it was the activity window that I used when I wanted to d/l a video.

In ML, with no activity window, how would I go about it?

2. GGJstudios, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're using Safari and have ClickToFlash installed, first try right-clicking the video to see if "Download Video" is an option. It should be if you're using the HTML5 trial.

You can also use ClipGrab or KeepVid or similar apps or sites.

To download via Safari 5: (not available in ML or with Safari 6)

While viewing the video just click "Window > Activity" then identify the video in the list of elements (it will likely show something like "258K of 1.8MB" and will be the largest file on the list.
    [​IMG]
    Hold the option key down and double-click the file to download.

3. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Keepvid is not working for me.

I know about the develop menu/window, but what the heck am I looking for.
    In activity you would look for the largest file but with develop, I have no idea what I should be looking for.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Open the Develop > Show Page Resources window, then take a screen shot and post it.

5. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

6. Zephar macrumors newbie

Activity Window location in S6

I have the Page Resources showing; but, there is nothing that lists any file size. Could you please elaborate on this a bit. I have this on a mid-2011 iMac.
    Best,
    Seth

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not the same as the Activity window, which shows the sizes of elements and shows download progress. The window you posted is more like the Web Inspector you get when you right-click on a page in Safari 5 and select "Inspect Element" or click Develop > Show Web Inspector. That has a completely different purpose. Someone in another thread had said it was equivalent, but apparently it isn't.

8. Zephar macrumors newbie

Download videos in S6

Dang… Well, I was hoping the answer would lie in one of these windows; but, I sure cannot locate it, yet. Getting a bit frustrating. I tried some of the 3rd party stuff; and, got inundated with a lot of nonsense with some difficulty getting them un-installed. I tried that Firefox DLer, but it kept DLing the wrong video every time. I am looking at iTubeX now for $15.
    Best,
    Seth

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried ClickToFlash?

10. simsaladimbamba

ClipGrab, free and easy to uninstall. Mentioned in post #2, link found via www search.
    It is an extra application, but quite simple, one copies the YouTube address (or some other address), goes to ClipGrab (Menu Bar icon or CMD+TAB or ...), the address is automatically inserted, selects the format and a place to save.

I have used it fairly often and successful.

11. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I didn't think it was the same as Activity Windows either.
    Then again, I didn't know what I was looking at.

I read on another site where there was a discussion saying that these two windows are way different.

I do have an extension for Youtube but not one in general that will work on different sites. Before I went that route, I wanted to see if it was possible to d/l videos without something like clipgrab. I found a site after all that could save the videos I wanted.

12. Zephar macrumors newbie

We are on the same page on this, along with a whole lot of others. This took everyone by surprise who went for ML right off. I must say I really like it so far except for this Activity/Video DL issue. I am still thinking it is in there somewhere, yet to be discovered. Put some sails out and someone please find land! Best, Seth

13. Zephar macrumors newbie

ClickToFlash

NO, but I visited their website. There are several DLs listed; but, none stated anything about DLing videos. It is the one Named ClickToFlash? I have tried many in the last few days, and have been disappointed so far; and, several were difficult to get rid of, uninstalled completely… Best, Seth

14. GGJstudios, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you install ClickToFlash, it enables you to block flash content on sites. Additionally, it can play content via HTML5, and it gives you a right-click > download option on some flash content.
    ScreenCap 2012-07-29 at Sun, Jul 29,8.07.38 PM .PNG

15. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire