download windows on a mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sugarplumtr, Oct 20, 2010.

1. sugarplumtr macrumors newbie

I am trying to download windows on a mac. I have download windowsxp.iso and I have burnt it on a disk, then I started boot camp and got to the start installation, then it says installer disk could not be found. What do I do

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. sugarplumtr thread starter macrumors newbie

4. sugarplumtr thread starter macrumors newbie

how to I download windows, I have managed to get the iso file which it is in a folder on the cd but it still says installer disk cannot be found

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You already downloaded Windows, the .iso file is the image of a Windows installation DVD. Have you taken a look at the link Hellhammer provided yet?
    It provides instructions on how to burn .iso files, as just burning the .iso file via Finder and having just the .iso file on the DVD will not work. The .iso file contains the installation for Windows, thus it needs to be properly burned. Hellhammer provided the factual information on how to do so. If you click on the link Hellhammer provided, you will be able to use the .iso file like it is intended to, thus I would advise to follow the link Hellhammer provided.

6. sugarplumtr thread starter macrumors newbie

I have downlolad the iso correctly, as when I run it on the mac as all the windows xp files appear but when when using boot camp it says installer disk cannot be found but the iso file is on the disk

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You're missing the point. There should not be an ISO file on the disk. The ISO is an image of the disk. The contents of the ISO should be on the disk. Since Mac OS can mount ISOs just fine, seeing the contents doesn't tell us you have burned the disk correctly.

How did you burn the ISO to the disk. Finder? Disk Utility? Toast? Burn OS X? ...

Plus, some of these downloadable ISOs are not bootable, even if you do burn them correctly, since they are intended as upgrade discs...

Help us help you by answering the questions we ask of you.

B

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does that mean you have taken any look at Hellhammer's link and followed the steps give there?

Because I am still confused by "the iso file is on the disk", as that will not work. Following the link Hellhammer provided will give you instructions on how to properly burn the file, which will result in a DVD with many files and folders on it and it will be bootable. There will be no single .iso file on the burned DVD, as one can't boot from an .iso file that way.

Again, did you or did you not follow the instructions on the page Hellhammer linked to?

Btw, Hellhammer is the person who replied first.