Download without the phone connected

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Handle, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Handle macrumors regular

I've been trying to download the new OS via iTunes all day, but each time it says 25 hours remaining and I have to run out of the office and take my phone with me so it has to be started all over again when I get back.

Is there any way to download the new OS without the phone connected to my MBA?

2. Richardgm, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Download without the phone connected

Yes. Settings - General - Software Update

3. mic j, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

mic j macrumors 68030

I have the same question. Right now my 5s is connected to my MBP through iTunes and tells me there are 14hrs remaining.

----------

Not understanding what that get's you. Going there just asks if you want to download and install the update. I think my particular question is, can I disconnect my iPhone from my MBP while the update is downloading through iTunes and then reconnect it just before the download is complete?

Update: I just killed the download & install. Disconnected/reconnected the iPhone to my MBP and restarted the using Download (no install). Might as just let this thing crank all night and be able to go about my business with phone in hand. Can't same I'm real happy at this point.

4. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

There is no Software Updates under General.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

It should still download after you unplug the phone.

6. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, it should, but it doesn't :(

Hell, it doesn't even give you a way to safely unplug the phone. The little eject button goes away until after you stop the download.

7. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

8. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You will need a different download for your iPad. When the download is done, 'shift click' the update button in iTunes (or option click on a Mac) and point iTunes to that file. Don't worry, iTunes will not let you use the wrong file for your device.

10. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

Do you happen to know which file to use for my iPad Mini Retina? Im not sure where you got that other link from. Thanks.

The one you linked to earlier said 27 hours but when I just got back to my MBA it was download!

11. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

12. gsusser macrumors regular

Is there a widespread problem with downloading? I'm in the NYC area and have been trying to get the download for my iPad and iPhone 5s since last night. As experienced by a few others, I get a message that umpteen zillion hours are remaining. When I tried to dl the file directly, for the 5s, it wouldn't even start the download. Doing it over wi-fi with the iPhone and going into settings seems to be working... at first it said a zillion hours for quite a while, now it's down to 1 hour.

Anyway, is it my hardware or software, or are others experiencing the same problem?

13. MGrayson3, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

MGrayson3 macrumors newbie

Same problem here. NYC. Can't get a download to succeed either from Mac or iPhone.

----

OK, it worked this morning. About 3 MB/s. Restoring phone now...