Download youtube strait to ipod!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by bazookafx3, Mar 5, 2008.

1. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

Its here! the holy grail of ipod/youtube integration!! You can now download youtube videos strait to your ipod via the 'MXTUBE' app found in the installer, look, watch, love

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

3. jacktiernan macrumors regular

Wow, great app.

Just downloaded 2 vids, download was quick and plays back perfectly.

I'm on 1.1.4 btw.

4. BassistKing1 macrumors member

pretty decent download speed, was better then i expected :D

5. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

i saw it in installer last night and checked it out

I gotta say, it's pretty awesome!

6. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I don't know if it's my internet connection speed or what but sometimes the video doesn't download completely. The app occasionally crashes too but overall, it's pretty good. Does it download the videos which are converted to h.264 format or does it download the original flash format?

7. captnmorgan macrumors newbie

or you could download ffmpeg and convert the flv youtube video to mp4 in realtime

8. vegas-steven macrumors regular

ok, but remember that you are still accessing the regular iphone/ipod youtube site, not the flash site that you see on the internet.

this app (which i installed last night) is simply a front end that allows you to directly download the converted flash files from youtube to your iphone.

same apple only files though... not flash or anything. proof of that is how it allows you an option to download the wifi/edge or both versions of a file.

9. pbcrazyboy macrumors member

Does anyone know where the files are located on the ipod. I downloaded 2 videos and I looked under var/root/media/mxtube and there are some files but they are filepart. When I put these on my computer they dont play on itunes or windows media player. And the mp4 files in that folder say they are 0 kb. Is it possible to backup these videos so you can put them on itunes?:apple:

10. Ferb 101 macrumors member

yea, i believe they are in var/root/mobile/Library/MxTube

i dont have my ipod with me at the moment so im not sure if thats right otherwise i would confirm it, but give it a try :)

11. br1anc macrumors regular

12. matthewroth macrumors member

a good app. works ok, and the interface is NICE

just a couple of problems with the WIFI downloads crashing and then playback being messed up but if he has had Erika helping him with this it will be fixxxed

and soon!

13. spyder52 macrumors member

Awsome

I was dreaming about this app the other day

14. Mugs macrumors regular

hey guys this sounds awesome, would someone be able to link me to something which explains how to jailbreak 1.1.4, i'm finding it a bit hard to find it. Im on an ibook btw so no intel for me! If I jailbreak my touch will I lose my software upgrade, cus I wana un-jailbreak when the SDK comes out. So yer, thanks if anyone could post a lil guide for me.

15. matthewroth macrumors member

hey there bugs (sorry to here your getting no intel love :)

you can get you app pack back when you have jailbroken, and if you jailbreak using

1.1.1 - jailbreakme dot com
    1.1.2 - octoprep - available on installer
    1.1.2 - 1.1.4 - soft upgrade

there is no need for an intel proccesor.

16. Mugs macrumors regular

thankyou very much, I'm doing it now, hopefully it goes well, n i'm hoping to get a MBP around September. Yay

17. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Ziphone works too.. pre-intel mac i assume?

18. thatonekid393 macrumors member

I got this yesterday and couldn't believe it. OP is right in saying it is the holy grail :D I think I have a couple dozen videos so far from Derrick Comedy, picnicface, and collegehumor.

HOWEVER, do you guys notice that when you search for videos, it doesn't show you the videos by that user? For example, if you search for "collegehumor", it shows videos with the word in the title, but not videos from that account. I think it may have something to do with the way the real Youtube groups videos into accounts or channels :x

19. Mugs macrumors regular

hey is there anything else I can do, cus the ziphone thing doesnt work.

20. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Great apps, no more need to rip from youtube webpage, convert, then add to itunes library then sync, now its just download to ipod! Great time saver! The interface is amazing, finally a great app that is actually nice to use as well. I love the iTunes music store interface. All hail the lord and master...Foamy! How you'll never escape my ipod again. ^_^

Edit: Also read that people are having problems with the app? I don't see how, it looks like a good product and I just downloaded 20 or so videos flawlessly. Can't wait for Mxtube 2 for the video renaming (I'm kinda perfectionist with my media and would like to have it nice and orderly)

21. rakesh macrumors newbie

22. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Brilliant, thanks for pointing me at this. Great app.

23. 864646 macrumors regular

i also downloaded this but ever since i got this app all my other videos in my ipod go weird.. the images go all blue and purple and red.. the colours are all weird and once i unistall mx tube, the videos go bak to normal.
    anyone know how to FIX it??
    i have 1.1.3 jb

24. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Hmm, how about installing it again, then turn off your iPod (the long hold on the power button) then power it up again and see if that works. My 1.1.2 JB touch is not having any problems with my videos being jacked up. I do get that sometimes if I forget to eject my iPod out of itunes but that rebooting does fix the problem. Hopefully it can do the same for you.

25. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Ouch, that sucks. :( What FW are you using? Do you have enough memory for your downloads (I wonder what happens when you do try to download a video but have no memory for it). I tend to usually leave about 100MB of space left over just cause I always hate to have a device with no memory.