Downloaded a file from a dubious source

Discussion in 'iMac' started by marcusosborne, Mar 4, 2010.

1. marcusosborne macrumors newbie

I downloaded a file from a dubious source and when the download was complete the file appeared in my appplications folder as 'terminal'. Should I be worried or concerned? Is it someone attempting to get into my computer? Please advise, thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What did you try to download? I would delete it immediately.

3. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Whats your "dubious source" is and what did you download? Inquiring mind want to know....

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seems like there should be no question about it. If a file is supposed to be one thing and upon download it is another then trash it and secure-empty that trash.

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the "terminal" should be in the utilities folder of your application folder , if you look there and there is a app called "terminal" already, then just delete your dubious other "terminal" ,
    but it would be interesting to know what you tried to download and from where , as if it is really something like a virus who creates a terminal some might find that collectable as it would be one of the first known mac viruses :)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are now viruses for Macs, only trojans and this would be one too.

7. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i just hoped it would have been the first one :( so i could have downloaded it too and put it on a memory stick and preserved it as the worlds first mac virus and maybe it would have become highly collectable in 30 years time or so :D

8. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Another reason to not abuse admin privileges. If he happened to run that file and was a normal user, the file may not even execute, and if it does, it does so only with normal user privileges, which would isolate the issue somewhat. That wouldn't be a good predicament but wouldn't be as bad as the trojan gaining system access.