Downloaded Apps + a New iTunes Library?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Molopo, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Molopo macrumors regular

I'm switching computers, from a compaq to the new aluminum macbook. I want to sync my iPhone to it, but I don't want to lose all the apps I've downloaded. How do I copy the apps to my library FIRST, and THEN sync? Thanks.

2. pkagel macrumors regular

My PC computer was dying and I was able to do a copy of my documents to an external hard drive before it totally died. All I had to do was drag and drop the whole folder to iTunes and it put all my apps and music in there. I ended up having to find some of my art work for a few albums but other than that it is just as simple as I just said. Some others may have a much better method but this was the best I could do with my dying computer.

3. Molopo thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, it's not windows to windows, it's windows to a mac. I'm not sure if they would be compatible, or how the transfer would even work. When I downloaded my apps, they automatically saved to my computer. Why can't I force it to do that right now?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you have a flash drive, usb drive, cd or dvd, you should be able to copy your apps files from Windows to the movable drive/media, then copy them off the media/drive into your Mac.

If that doesn't work, you can... well, Macs come with iTunes installed, right? So start up iTunes, log into your iTunes account, and authorize the account on your Mac. Connect your iPhone to the Mac, and it should ask you if you want to transfer the apps on your phone to the Mac. If you are paranoid, you can disable autosync -- I forget where the option was, but it's somewhere in the iTunes preferences. Then connect your iPhone, right-click the iPhone icon in iTunes (or whatever the equivalent of right-click is on a Mac), select "Transfer Purchases."

And if for some reason all of the above fails, you can always redownload your apps for free.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Just copy the iTunes folder over. Doesn't matter about the OS.