downloaded files will not open with quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rylaine, Sep 10, 2008.

1. rylaine macrumors newbie

i just recently got a mac, and please excuse my ignorance, but i got a rapidshare account and have been trying to download links directly. whenever i begin a download it comes up in my download folder downloading as just a blank sheet, when it finishes and i try to open it it it says 'file is not a movie file' i have no idea what i'm doing wrong or how to fix it, could someone please help?

2. MCRunning macrumors 6502

What time of file extensions are you downloading? If it is .rar you will need a 3rd party application to extract the files. I would recommend Unrarx:

http://www.unrarx.com/

Also if you are trying to watch .avi or .wmv movies in QuickTime you will need 3rd party plugins or another video player. If you want to use QuickTime and not a 3rd party program you can try Perian (Perian is a free, open source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats.):

http://perian.org/

Lastly, if you want a 3rd party media player try VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Hope that helps :)

3. johto macrumors 6502

johto

What type of files are you ACTUALLY downloading. Hightlight the downloaded file in finder and press cmd+i to get the "Get info" pane ...check the file type and name. We need more info :)

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Are they RAR file? You need to get all pieces first.

You might want to get
    RAR Expander (this works with most files that you need to enter password)
    The Unarchiver
    Go to Macupdate.com to download them.

VLC Player to view

5. rylaine thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, te majority are .rar files, i downloaded the unrarx program, but i'm having difficulty with it, seems like i need a password and its coming up as errors found. i also downloaded the perian program but that has made no difference to quicktime, it still won't play the files. i don't really care what program plays them, i just want to be able to burn movies (eventually!)

really appreciating the help guys, sorry i'm a bit clueless to all this....

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You need a password because the people who shared the files locked them and you have corrupted files. You won't be able to use the files until they are unRAR'd, so you are SOL. I would suggest no pirating media and buying it.

TEG

7. MCRunning macrumors 6502

When you open Unrarx there should say "password" toward the top middle. Click on that then enter the password for the file there, once you have done that drag the first part of the file into unrarx and it should extract all the other ones. Then finally you can open it with QT.

8. backpackj macrumors newbie

thanks!

Precisely what I was looking for! Thanks!

Unrarx worked fine for me! All the different compression
    files are really bothering me. anyway.

I had trouble with VLC though, but managable.
    I think I have a conflict somwhere.

THanks again! :)