Downloaded first program Open Office. Now icon on desktop...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vich22, May 24, 2009.

1. vich22 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Just got my macbook and downloaded openoffice. I installed it but now there is the icon on the right side of the desktop under macintosh HD named openoffice.org 3.1 If moved to the garbage it shows eject...(How to get rid of icon?) Also When i go to finder with application installed and go to--> applications it doesnt say open office. But if i go to spotlight and search for open office then i can open it.. Can someone help me out?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's a Disk Image (.dmg), that is mounted and shown on your Desktop and in the Finder under Devices.

"lockedfiles" is an example of a Disk Image in the following image.
    [​IMG]

You can safely eject it (by dragging the .dmg to the Trash, or pressing CMD + E while the .dmg is selected, or by using the Eject icon in the Finder Sidebar on the right of the mounted .dmg), if you already have copied the Open Office Suite to your Applications folder (or wherever you like).

On not finding Open Office in the Applications folder, but with the help of Spotlight, it may be that you dragged it somewhere else, or haven't it dragged yet to any place else. Just opening a .dmg file won't install anything.

You can find out by using Spotlight, entering OpenOffice and then pressing the Command (cmd) key while clicking on it (or pressing the Enter key).
    It will open the Finder window, where Open Office resides.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

When you download a DMG (disk image) file and then double-click on it, it "mounts" the disk image on your Desktop. You'll see a new icon on your desk, usually underneath the icon for your harddrive. Same thing happens if you insert a CD into your Mac, or attach an external hard drive.

So when you're done using the DMG (i.e. you've installed the software), you eject it. That makes the icon go away. You can either drag the mounted DMG to the Trash to eject it, or you can right-click on the DMG icon and choose Eject. Note that even though you've ejected the DMG, it doesn't delete the actual DMG file from your computer. It'll still be in your Downloads folder incase you need to run it again. If you're really really done with it, delete the DMG file (after you've ejected it).

I've never installed OpenOffice myself, so I'm not sure what it's called in your Application folder.

4. vich22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for responses. In addition the CMD key thing showed me it was in volumes.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Very cool Spotlight tip!