Downloaded iTunes 8.1 now my calendar won't sync with iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JosephDougherty, Mar 12, 2009.

1. JosephDougherty macrumors newbie

My white iPhone 3G has been working fine until I downloaded itunes 8.1. Now my calendar won't sync with it. I tried re-downloading itunes, but that didn't work. Any suggestions?

2. Minus Human macrumors member

Minus Human

Same here.

3. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

What calender do you sync with? Are you using Outlook for you calender?

Do you use a mac or a PC?

4. suburbiton macrumors member

5. WonderFlea macrumors newbie

Win XP (Outlook Cal Sync) 8.1 no likey

I had the same problem. I've tried to sync it all night from like 12am -7:30 am. Put it on the cradle and let it sync. When I woke up it was still saying "syncing". I tried a couple of things and the apple diagnostic thingie. No luck. I also noticed that it REALLY slowed down my PC, I couldn't do nottin. iTunes took a while to even think.

I uninstalled itunes 8.1 deleted the latest itunes library and reinstalled iTunes 8.0.2.20. Now it works like a champ.
    When apple fixes whatever is wrong, then I'll reinstall 8.1, maybe. (wasn't a big fan of the new DJ thingie).

6. JosephDougherty thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 2006 iMac with intel core duo 2.0ghz and 256mb graphics running leopard. I knew I forgot some details.

7. SponPlague macrumors newbie

I have 10.5.6 on 2.4Gh Core Duo; 4 Gb memory, and synching calendar also fails on my white iPhone after the 8.1 upgrade...

8. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

Same issues here with syncing to my Outlook calendar.

9. jsanche6 macrumors member

Same here. I'm sure they'll fix this bug within the next week.

10. Hbcyclone macrumors newbie

I have Windows XP pro at home with Outlook 2003 and XP Pro at the office with Outlook 2007. Both synced fine with iTune 8.1.0.51.

11. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I use Windows XP Media Edition w/Service Pack 3 and sync with Outlook 2003 for my Calender. All entries to include repeating and todo's are still present.

My first sync was slightly slow due to a very long backup (thought that problem was back) but calender sync'd just fine. Put new entries in calender and tested both in iPhone and in Outlook and all new entries sync'd just fine.

I do not use Outlook for my contacts and use the Google option instead and that worked fine also.

Not sure what the issue is for those that are having problems. Recommend that those having problems re-authorize their computers with the iTunes store again. Insure you deauthorize first and then reauthorize. Also try syncing with Outlook calender open and see if any messages pop up. Posting error codes will assist in trouble shooting process.

12. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

I'm not getting any error messages. I've tried syncing with Outlook open and with Outlook closed.

For now I've switched to OTA sync with my Google Calendar. To sync my Outlook calendar to Google's, I'm using Google's Calendar Sync.

13. poweredbymaxx macrumors newbie

same problem here. thought it was just me, good to hear it's just a bug. ical was fine right before the update to 8.1

14. tecnodata macrumors newbie

Downloaded iTunes 8.1 now my calendar won't sync with iTunes

I have Vista home premimim, iphone 3g 16 gb and after install itunes 8.1 it could not sync iphone calendar with outllook 2007 calendar.
    The solution for me was:
    a) create a new outlook 2007 calendar and
    b) copy/past my appointments from old outlook calendar to the new,
    c) set itunes 8.1 to sync with the new calendar created.
    iT works. I dont know why, but it works.
    Hopp it can hel you.

15. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I use the same method...Google Calender Sync to Outlook, Outlook to iPhone. No problems at all. I wish I could sync directly with Google Calender like I do my contacts but Apple has not seen fit to allow us that option yet.

16. caseys macrumors member

Ahhh so it's not just me then :)

I thought I had an issue. I sold on my MBP, got my MP, restored from a time machine backup and then did the install of 8.1 and have been getting the error ever since.

I even did a full restore of the iPhone. Guess I should've just checked here first! :p

17. Wetworks macrumors newbie

So, anyone hear about what the timetable to a fix may be?:confused:

18. biggrim macrumors member

Hey everyone.

I'm having a similar problem I think. Since installing 8.1 itunes won't get past the verifying iphone bar at the top when plugged in to sync. Itunes locks up and I have to end task in order to get out of it.

I'm running windows xp on a pc and it's a 16gig 3G iPhone.

Should I revert back to 8.0 and see if it works then?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Graeme

19. winfred macrumors newbie

same issue

good to hear that i'm not the only one. since itunes 8.1
    synching of contacts/calendar doesn't stop, no error messages.
    i'm using ipod touch 2.2.1 software with outlook 2003 on a win xp pro SP2.

thanks for any help.

20. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Possible Fix

When I upgraded to 8.1, my iPhone started to react the way that the majority of you are describing. The steps that I took may help others so I will give you my setup and the sequence I took to sync.

1) iTunes settings: Edit, Preferences, Devices...Select "Disable Automatic Syncing..."

2) Plug in iPhone and select "Sync"

3) When you see syncing window go into the "Backup" mode...wait about 1 minute to see if it moves. If it does not move close the backup by clicking the little X in the sync window on the right.

4) Click "Sync" again and it should bypass the backup mode and sync everything else.

5) If it gets stuck again...repeat steps 3 & 4 withOUT unplugging the iPhone.

6) Once you get one complete run through without backing up hit sync one more time, get a second complete sync and disconnect the iPhone.

7) Wait 30sec and plug the iPhone back in, select sync and the iPhone should enter backup mode again...it will be slow and take time but it will complete and from that point on you should have no further issues.

These are the steps I took during my first sync and I have no problems as previously posted. All calenders and contacts sync normally with my Outlook 2003.

Hope this helps some if not all...Good Luck

21. jer16 macrumors newbie

jer16

Partial solution - is there a hidden dialog(?) box waiting to be OK'd?

When I updated iTunes (and others) my iPhone / iMac sync seemed to take forever too. But when I tried to shut down, there was a small dialog(?) widow wating to be OK'd. :eek:

This explained the endless sync, but brought more bad news. It said more than 25% (I think) of my iCal items wd be changed if I sync'd. Most changes were birthday entries would lose the link to Address Book entries. :(

I Ok'd it and lost the links. I may have lost some iCal birthdays entirely - I'm not sure :eek:

22. xperience macrumors newbie

Yep - same problem here.

WinXP sp3 - Outlook 2003 - everything else syncs, just not calendar.

23. Moosemarty macrumors newbie

Had the same probelm and, at least in my case with Outlook, it was an easy fix. Went to iTunes and under my phone "info" I found that the calendar sync was no longer checked. I checked sync and after a long download everything was OK

24. Wetworks macrumors newbie

Same for me too.

As an aside, I just unchecked "Do not sync events older than xx days" and the calendars synced. It actually changed some older events (>than 5%). Give it a shot...:cool:

25. winfred macrumors newbie

reset sync history

now it works, i found the solution at apple support:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1692

the option that worked out well for me, was a reset of the sync history. it took quite a while, but now everything seems to be on track again and both changes and new entries are synced well