Downloaded new font, now MS word won't open.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paulhannon, Mar 4, 2011.

1. paulhannon macrumors member

As the title says.

Downloaded a new font and MS word wouldn't open. So i deleted the font file and still no go. The load screen pops up but that all, with the beach ball of death just spinning.

any solutions greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

simsaladimbamba

What font, how did you install it and how did you remove it and what version of MS Office (Word) and Mac OS X do you run on what Mac?
    Have you tried repairing (not running) permissions yet or a simple restart? And does Word start on another, even temporarily created, user account?

3. paulhannon thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded the 1st font listed here, "celtic" ( http://www.fontspace.com/category/irish ).

I dragged and dropped into the fonts folder. I simply deleted it.
    MS Word 2004 ver 11.0.0. OSX 10.6.6.
    How do you change permissions for MS Word? I tried a full shut down, no change.

I'll try a new account now.

4. simsaladimbamba

To change permissions for MS Word, you select it, press CMD+I and look at the SHARING & PERMISSIONS section of the now open GET INFO window.
    To repair permissions, go to Disk Utility, select your Macintosh HD and click REPAIR PERMISSIONS.

5. paulhannon thread starter macrumors member

It works in the other account i made. How would I get it to work in my account?

Thanks for the help by the way.

6. tingiminn macrumors newbie

Delete your font caches

OP, since the problem went away in your new dummy account and since the font caches are user specific, deleting the caches should remedy your situation. Onyx (available on macupdate.com and from the developer's www.titanium.free.fr) is one utility that will delete the caches. The option is under the cleaning tab in Onyx (you should only have to select the System and Users and Microsoft Corporation checkboxes in the font section of said cleaning tab). Just run it from your primary account and then reboot.

Good luck!

7. paulhannon thread starter macrumors member

I tried Onyx but still no luck. Still stuck at square one.

anymore things to try?

8. tingiminn macrumors newbie

Sorry

Onyx normally works for me when I run into similar issues. So I humbly apologise.

Apart from restoring any changes to permissions that may have been altered and re-installing Office and its multitude of updates, perhaps try installing from the attached file? (The original had a few issues, so I regenerated it into a basic, hinted working form.) Word should update whatever damaged copy it has in its cache with the new copy. My copy of Word 2008 on Leopard had no issue even after a reboot, so YMMV. This is the last idea I can think of.

Best of luck. Again.

Attached Files:

9. paulhannon thread starter macrumors member

Bingo, it's back working. Thank you for your help!!
    And there was no need to apologies either, but thanks again.