downloaded snow, now i want to buy it

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spekulanten, Mar 25, 2010.

1. spekulanten macrumors member

spekulanten

hello. here's what troubles me. i bought my macbook pro with leopard. when snow leopard came out, i didn't had the patience and money to buy an upgrade. and i downloaded retail through torrents, burned a dvd, and install snow. it works normal. now, i want to be alright; what is to do now? if i buy the snow upgrade, can it overwrite my current downloaded snow system?

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

tut tut, the upgrade is only 25 dollars, lol

anyways yes pop the disc in the drive and install, if you want to keep your programs and documents then pick, archive and install, this will wipe the old installation and save your programs from being deleted ;)

3. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

There's really no point in reinstalling it, if you buy it you'll get the disc and the license.

What's on the disc and what's on your computer is the same thing.

Your copy will be just as legal if you buy it and don't reinstall it as if you buy it and reinstall it.

4. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

Essentially by downloading and not having paid for it, you are a thief. If you can not afford it then wait until you can. I can't afford an Aston - doesn't really give me the right to take one (although I wish it did :p).

Nevertheless, I would not bother with reinstalling OS X as the downloaded version, unless changed by the distributor (which I doubt) will be the same as on the disc. It will simply be a big hassle to mess around with everything and run the (very unlikely) risk of losing the data.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No need to reinstall. Having the disk rolling around in your desk drawer should suffice.

BTW, there is really no need to take out our anger against the OP. He is offering to pay up. Save all the anger for those coming in the forums asking how to get Apple stuff from the Torrents, not for somebody who used the torrents and is now seeing the light. Geez.:rolleyes: