Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
No, this is not a download manager of some sorts, it is a wonderful piece of software I use on Windows. But, now that I am leaving behind the Windows world and entering the OS X world when I receive my MBP, I really want an alternative.

Allow me to explain what it does for those that don't know it. It is a program for downloading images from a CF or other memory device to the computer. Nothing too spectacular there, but it does some nifty automated things I have grown to really like.

1) When the program starts, it asks for a job or project name. This is then used for storing the images to a specific location
2) It reads the EXIF data from the images and any tag can be used to define a storage location
3) It can write IPTC data into the images for later use by ie Lightroom

My RAW files are stored and cataloged using this program like:
Canon Originals\<Camera Model>\<Year>\<Job>

Where stuff between <> is created from the EXIF information in the images. Also, it adds a standard copyright notice into the IPTC data, that I later use in Lightroom to add a copyright watermark to the jpg image.

Of course I could do all this by hands, but the nice thing about this little program is that it does these things all fully automatic. It would be so wonderful if there was a little OS X utility that can do the same.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing? This would make my OS X experience sooo much better. :)

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
adobe bridge will do what you want essentially, it won't create folders for cameras, but it will create subfolders for dates and your iptc info.

i personally use aperture to manage my libraries.

i don't use lightroom, but i would assume it has similar features as well, non?

rugby49

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Downloader Pro

Just moved from Windows to a Mac a few weeks ago. Used Breezebrowser and Downloader Pro exclusively to download sort and backup images. Unfortunately neither program is available. PhotoMechanic is the best program for sorting, downloading and renaming, however it is about $150.00. A good alternative seems to be Imageingester which seems to have many of the features of downloader pro. Just starting to play with it. Cost is $40.00.
Jim Kelly

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Because I am 'old skool'; I like to have stuff neatly organized on my harddisk the way *I* want it, so I can find something with or without running any program.

I use both Aperture and Lightroom, but not for cataloging. I catalog on disk because I use different programs for different actions and I need to be able to find what I am looking for in those programs.

Rugby: I'll try and see what Imageingester is about. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.