Downloading a clean copy of OS X ML

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BarkingGhost, Jul 16, 2013.

1. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

Over the weekend I had a difficult time downloading a purchased copy of Mountain Lion. Twice the download timed out with a messaging suggesting I had network issues. When it looked like it was going to timeout a 3rd time, I opened a browser and played videos from Vimeo without a problem.

Not willing to just sit there and wait for the third timeout to strike (nothing was downloading and the progress appeared to have froze, I clicked Pause, closed the App store application and rebooted the iMac.

After rebooting, I went back to the App store application, clicked on Purchases, and then clicked Resume and the remainder of the download went without pausing, or timing out. I decided I didn't want to bother upgrading as the weekend was drawing to a close and left it as-is.

Yesterday, I decided to trash the downloaded Install OS X Mountain Lion app and try a fresh download. When that second download completed it didn't show up in the Applications folder. Someone told me it would update/overwrite the existing download regarding where it is located on the iMac.

I went into the Trash bin, used the Show Package Contents and sure enough some of the files had a time stamp from yesterday and not from the past weekend. I used the Put It Back and again the it was found in the Applications folder.

I downloaded a third time and sure enough looking at the package contents find some files with even newer file dates. At this point I really don't trust the original download, or any of the successive downloads.

Can I delete the app from the Applications folder, and then empty the trash and then go back to the App store application, Purchases and download a fresh, clean copy without the fear of anything from the weekend's poor download showing up?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Back up the old version on a thumb drive or external drive just to be safe and then delete/empty the trash.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, that will work.

4. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I tried it. I saved what I had to a thumb drive and ejected it, reboot the Mac and then opened the app store. Its already timed out on me twice. It seems if there isn't a copy already on the Mac it has download issues even though I am not experiencing network issue (on a 25 Mbps pipe).

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have something else going on with perhaps your ISP, but I promise you can DL the full installer from the App Store without having an old version or anything else in particular there. I have done is a couple times myself and many forum users here have done it.