Downloading a File from iCloud

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cfs123, Oct 20, 2016.

1. cfs123 macrumors regular

Hello form,

This question could have went in any number of forums but I thought this one was the best because the question is basic.

I am currently using Pages on the iPad and created a document on my MacBook and pulled it up from the cloud on my iPad. I see that the document is now on my iPad. How do I put it back in the cloud so it doesn't take up space on my iPad?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

Your iPad will purge iCloud files as needed to make space if it needs more. There is no manual way to do this.

However, iCloud tends to be really really aggressive in purging downloaded files. You will likely not have a problem with it not deleting it by itself if your iPad needs some space. I have half an iPad of memory free and it almost always re-downloads my files if I've not opened them in the last couple of days.

3. cfs123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much. Great to know. Is this the same with iCloud photos?

4. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

Yes iCloud photos does the same thing if you have it set to "optimize iPhone storage" in the photos settings. If you have it set to "download and keep originals" It will download all of them and never purge them.