Downloading and installing a printer driver

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dirnaf, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Dirnaf macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I want to connect a printer (Canon iP4500) to my brand new iMac. I have found the relevant driver at Canon, but when I go to download it, the Mac asks me where do I want it downloaded to and suggests "Documents". I feel that this is probably not right, but have no idea where to put it, or how to get it there. Could someone please advise me, as I need to get the printer working fairly urgently.

Also, is the driver all I will need to have to make the printer work? I have tried using the Canon CD that came with the printer on an external CD/DVD drive, but the iMac doesn't seem to see the drive, let alone the software.

Your help would be much appreciated. :)

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Remove the packing material per the instructions.

Plug in the printer, turn it on. Connect the USB cable.

If you are lucky your iMac will ask you if it should look for and install the drivers. Click, "well, Ok - if you insist". You are done.

If you are slightly unlucky, you may have to open the Preferences Panel. Select the Printer Pane, and click the little 'plus' ( + ). It will be under the window in the left side of Printer Preferences panel. It should walk you through the steps from there, including looking for the latest driver for you.

A friend of mine, who is a complete computer-phobe, bought a new laser printer last week - and then begged me to come over and install it for her. I waited for the biscotti to be produced (I have high demands for making house-calls) and then I turned it on and plugged the USB cable from the printer into the back of her Mac. The "Do you want me take care of this for you?" dialogue box popped up, and we were done before I finished my biscotti.

With any luck, your experience will be similar.

Luck.

3. Dirnaf thread starter macrumors newbie

0_0

I. Do. Not. Believe. This.

I did exactly what you told me to do and...it just worked!!! No messing, no faffing, no swearing, no raised blood pressure. :eek: This particular printer is about five years old and I have been using it on, dare I say, Windows, for that long. I really thought that it would be a long, hard, steep learning curve to transition to Mac, but it ain't. #does a little dance

Take last night fer instance. We have had a dvd with a movie on that we have never been able to play on Windows, despite trying all possible variations. Put it into the DVD player last night and...it just worked!!!

The question I am asking myself is why does Microsoft have such a huge market share when Mac is so simple that a five year could use it. I keep waiting to hit an unscalable wall, but so far, so good...

Thanks so much Mr, Mrs, Ms snberk - you have really made our day. :)