Downloading and paying apps with different account?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by silverwings47, Apr 26, 2013.

1. silverwings47 macrumors newbie

I have two accounts, one for Japan and one is for UK.
    I want to ask if I downloaded an app with the Japan account, can I purchase the in-game contents with my UK account? And if I can't, is there any way I can re-download the app with the UK account, but still keep the save data?

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Nope. Since all apps are tied to the downloader's account ("DRM'd" so to speak).

The easiest way (provided you don't have any issue with having the app as downloaded with the UK account on iTunes) would be to delete the app on iTunes, then re-download with iTunes account and in next sync, it would copy that app.
    If for some reason that fails (e.g it doesn't sync because it has the same version, which is something that could potentially happen but I have no idea), then you have the choice to either:
    1. Delete the app from the device, and if it saves data on iCloud, then it will restore that data.
    2. Delete the app from the device, and if it doesn't save data on iCloud, then just make a backup (local, iCloud, your choice) of the entire device.

Then sync with iTunes, in (2), restoring from the backup.

If you were jailbroken, and in the case the first thing doesn't work, then you could simply copy the app's folder (/var/mobile/Applications/XXXXXApp), then delete, sync and restore the folder (well not the entire folder but just the data).

You could also try something like i-FunBox to grab and copy the data, I think it works for this purpose, with non-jailbroken devices.

3. silverwings47 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks.

It says it'll delete the save data if I delete the app, but I'm guessing it doesn't affect the data saved in iCloud?

And do you think iExplorer will work?

4. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I'm guessing you got this sorted out by now, so just for posterity sake:

It won't delete data on iCloud (as it would go against the paradigm of synching several devices from the cloud).

iExplorer, I think it should work, last thing I remember, it is pretty similar to i-FunBox.